Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...before you use it. They are a little sluggish when it is ~5* F and they have been stored in the truck cab. :)

I wanted to log some cold weather operation and it would not Validate all the PIDs as well as some other non-repeatable quirks. Once warmer, it worked fine! I'm sure there is some operating Temp info out there, I just didn't think about it till it didn't work correctly.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Zip tie a hand warmer to it! :D

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Thats a little odd actually, when we were testing the development units we left one in a freezer overnight. Pulled it out and it worked fine...........

O.K, just did the conversion from f to c........minus 20C :eek: (my freezer isn't that cold!)
Looking at the datasheets for all the parts, it appears the USB chip is the weak link when it comes to cold temps.

Cheers,
Ross

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a criticism. All things have there limits. Just think people should know there IS a limit.

FWIW, I don't normally do tuning when it is that cold out. I was just curious to watch the timing and all change as the truck warmed up. I could imagine someone trying to pull codes or something on a misbehaving truck when it is that cold though.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Hmmm.... Maybe I shouldn't leave my V2 in the truck all the time during the winter (although I leave it plugged in pretty much all the time)?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Fingers;1583059; said:
Not a criticism. All things have there limits. Just think people should know there IS a limit.

FWIW, I don't normally do tuning when it is that cold out. I was just curious to watch the timing and all change as the truck warmed up. I could imagine someone trying to pull codes or something on a misbehaving truck when it is that cold though.

Jon, off topic, but do you have your ECT based timing adder tables set to add any timing at cold temps? I basically set all my ECT adders to zero because with my increased main injection tables, I found it rattled a LOT if the ECT based adders were left stock. Can it be bad for the engine to not have enough timing when cold? I just kinda do it by noise...?

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ben, I took a lot out since I had added a bit in the main already. Besides, it rattled too much.

BTW, THAT is what I was trying to log in the bitter cold. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts