Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your guys trucks seem like they have less power when they are cold? Or do they run just like they do when they r warm? Thanks

·
Registered
252 Posts
Mine seems like it has less power when its cold. I really baby it until the temps are up to normal operating range.

·
Registered
702 Posts
It'll have less power when cold due to combustion inefficiencies (cold cyl walls) and greater frictional losses (cold oil is thicker). I'd say it's not a good idea to really reef on it until the engine temp comes up a bit.
Think about how it takes longer to crank over in the cold and rattles for a bit until it starts warming up.....that's because the engine is having a hard time making enough heat for combustion.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
that and when it's single digits above or below like it's been here the last week and you're running 15w40 your oil pressure gauge will peg at idle even on the 03's with the 100+ range.

it's louder and rattles until the timing gets adjusted to normal, and since timing is extremely critical on a compression combustion engine yes you'll see a power loss.

·
LT. Dan
6,817 Posts
mine seems to run like a raped ape around 180

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
i think besides what has been mentioned, winter fuel mix also plays a role in power loss, i hate winter

·
Registered
834 Posts
...and gelled up fuel filters. A week ago I limped my LB7 cuz my filter was gelled up. Change fuel filter before and after winter is the best scenario. Just to be safe. :eek::

·
Registered
386 Posts
Duramax diesels also have a protection feature built in to the ecm where it wont allow full potenial of the engine during cold temps for reason of someone punching the pedel after just being started could easily crack the engine block if the requirements of met...kinda like the edge bet on a less severe note...or forsay the tcm where it changes shift characteristics under certain conditions

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
dr_unspoken;1583042; said:
Duramax diesels also have a protection feature built in to the ecm where it wont allow full potenial of the engine during cold temps for reason of someone punching the pedel after just being started could easily crack the engine block if the requirements of met...kinda like the edge bet on a less severe note...or forsay the tcm where it changes shift characteristics under certain conditions
There're requirements for cracking a block :wtf1: ? Do you mean if the CONDITIONS were right? It would be impossible for a block to crack because it was too COLD. If anything, a cold block is going to give you less power, not more. Engine WEAR, however, is an entirely different issue, but this is due the fact that lubercants and coolants flow with higher viscosity (and therefore less lubricity) at lower temperatures.

The ECM coolant temp vs. rev limiter function is to reduce unnecessary wear on a cold engine; the TCM ATF fluid temp vs. highest gear selected (3, IIRC) is to reduce unnecessary wear on transmission parts.

Most, if not ALL "catastrophic" block failures in diesel engines are as a direct result of two factors: heat, and pressure. You have neither in a cold block.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Its a diesel!!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts