Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kind of a general question- i live in CA

My front tires on my 05 sig truck stick out about 2 inches from the fender on each side, while my back ones are maybe 1/2 inch.

Is it legal to put a spacer in the rear to make them stick out further? How do you go about doing this?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts

My front tires on my 05 sig truck stick out about 2 inches from the fender on each side, while my back ones are maybe 1/2 inch.

Is it legal to put a spacer in the rear to make them stick out further? How do you go about doing this?

Don't know if it's legal to do, but I'm bettin your gonna need mudflaps, unless you have cool cops in Fresno..:D

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't know if it's legal to do, but I'm bettin your gonna need mudflaps, unless you have cool cops in Fresno..:D

Haha far from it.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I say SCREW em' space it out, I wish GM could come up with a fix for the front and rear offset difference.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I have never heard of a law against it, at least not in NY. Saw them several times on trucks in dealerships and i never saw a warranty voided for it either. Check with someone who does inspections, they can check the book if they dont know.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Down in Georgia it is illegal for your tires to extend out from under the fenders according to Ga. Code. However I have never heard of anyone being stopped because of it. We do not have vehicle inspection either. We dont even have emissions for gas burners where I live (only 1 hr from Atlanta). My truck's tires stick way out and so far so good. Plus the Police in the south are way more cool about stuff like this compared to other regions.

·
Registered
280 Posts

Don't really know, but I love your Avatar
You too DuramaxinGeorgia:D:D

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts

California Vehicle Code -27600. No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.

Technically, the tires are not supposed to extend beyond the fenders, but it's not really enforced...except if you get pulled over by a really strict CHP officer, who is looking for any violations such as no front license plate, removal of cat, etc.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You'll just get a fixit ticket. Your front tires are already in violation, so big deal if you space out the rear. All you need to do is get some fender extensions or mud flaps if you prefer them and get it signed off by a peace officer of any kind, if you do get a ticket.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
its only illegial if you get caught.... :lol:
as far as fixit tickets, here in az they dont keep record of them, but not sure if it applies in cali too.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Where I live we have a CHP that has a hard on for lifted trucks. He writes tickets for no flares or mud flaps. I had a lifted toyota back in 98 and recieved several tickets from him. I would put my stockers back on and get it signed off. After about the 5th or 6th ticket I received a letter from the DA that they were going to file charges agaisnt me for failure to comply. My solution was to sell the truck!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I think all he wants to know if it is legal to use a wheel spacer on a vehicle in CA.

If you use the spacer on the rear, now you've made it illegal since your tires will stick out past your body!

No matter what you do, your going to be illegal in CA.

So far I haven't been stopped...............

1 - 14 of 14 Posts