Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never purchased any power upgrade for my truck yet. So I have never had a chance to read the fine print. What are the resrictions? I have heard yo have to sign a waiver to get some high horsepower programs? Do the manufactures specify certain programs for off road only? Is it illegal to run high horsepower tunes on the street? I see some picture of people driving on the street with enormus amounts of black smoke coming from there exaust pipe and it just makes me wonder what that is doing to our enviroment and also the reputaion of diesel trucks in general? In Colorado you have to put pay 40.00 dollars and have your diesel put on a dyno. and tested for emmission cleanliness. Will aftermarket items cause me to flunk this test? Also is there any longjevity issues asscociated with running these high horsepower tunes more freuquently than 8-10 sled pulls or quarter miles per year? I just wnat to know what I am getting into. before I purchase. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bronco said:
In Colorado you have to put pay 40.00 dollars and have your diesel put on a dyno. and tested for emmission cleanliness.

Not all of us, you just live in the wrong county

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Camp,

I would not really call it living in the wrong county. They test for a reason. If we had 1970 emission standards, with the amount of people currently that drive and the amount of driving that is done on a daily basis then we all would be dead. Worldwide. Period. Lets not make this a emmisions conversation. I just want to know what the manufacture suggest in the fine print. I will follow there suggestions. If they say off road use for the higher tunes, than I know my true horsepower is really more like the tow tune at 40 or 60 vs. the 145 some advertize. If they make me sign a waiver that stated my motor could grenade than to me I know that I really will never acheive 145HP. I just am asking what is the highest reccomended street leagal power amount that I can use on a regular daily basis. With out smoking out the neighbors or destroying my truck. That is it.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts

Lets see

I haven't seen any restrictions for on off road use .... The waivers are for letting you know that damage can and could occur to your drivetrain such as transmission if not used correctly or extremely often with the big HP levels ,not all manufactures require a waiver ... An increase of 90 HP on the transmission has or seems to be within it's boundaries .... I have yet to hear someone tore up the Allison at that power level yet .... Smoke and damage occurs normally with our trucks at over 325 "ish" RWHP .... Big smoke comes with stacking of tuners ..... With the smoke comes soot and people should accelerate their maintenance schedule such as oil changes ....

If your overly concerned about the environment you should have purchased a hybrid or electric car ....

It is Not illegal to run these tuners on the street .... Believe it or not I can still drive 25 MPH smoke free in a school zone with the power turned all the way up ...

Most of the tuners have lower tunes will suffice your needs, safe power near stock smoke .....

I could suggest a tuner such as the but some say I'm way overly bias ....

Mac Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mackin I'll do it. EDGE/ATTITUDE works for me.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Tell him Mack

There is probably 3 or more out there that will do what he wants but I am not up on all of this so Im gonna take a 10/shutup

Geno

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you know which hybird will tow a 2500LB enclosed work trailer daily? I wish I could of. I am not an enviromentalist persay, however I do believe there are dragstrips for a reason. I do appreciate the responses and the honesty. It sounds like there are good products available, I would just need to keep them on the lower settings.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
90hp juice on level 3 around 70........90 with guages or an attitude

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The Duramax is plenty capable of fulfilling just about any need right out of the box.

But without soot, how would we be able to detail all of them hemi's???

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mackin said:
easymon4u said:
Mackin I'll do it. EDGE/ATTITUDE works for me.

Someone edited my post

Opps please forgive me, its just that I took a spin around the block with my EDGE/ATTITUDE on 5 and lost myself.
Edited by: easymon4u

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
BRONCO, I SUPPOSE YOU ARE ALSO A LOBBIEST FOR THE SAVIOR OF THE SPOTTED OWL?????

SAVE THE WHALES

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Peanut,

I understand there is no good way to tangle with you so I won't. To be honest I was set off by somebodys avatar. It is a white Dmax with loads and loads of smoke rolling out of it. It was on what appeared to be a city street. Diesel technology has come a long way over the last 20 years. Turbo diesel are by far the most effecient type of engine availble for automobiles. Hydrogen aside. Diesels could be mainstream before long. There is however a huge public perception issue. Loud,dirty, stinky! The latest version of diesel engines has done an incredible job of attempting to overcome this perception issue. When you bypass the ecm and produce this huge smoke you are setting diesel back 20 years. You will be suprised at how those kind of stunts can effect future emmission testing regulations and standards. If you drive on city or federal streets with an engine that is obviously out of tune you are breaking the law. Not to mention polutting the enviroment. I am not trying to be a kill joy. I have no objections to improving engine performance and increasing effeciency. I belong to no groups and I am a lobbyst for nothing. A little common sense goes a long way.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I hear ya look at these two clowns .....Their going to bring it back to the stoneage ....

Mac

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you mocking me?
Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I hear what your saying Bronco, you would like more power without the smoke. An admirable quest. We/I just can't help teasing you. Here in California we have a phone number people can call to report a vehicle with excessive smoke. The AQMD then sends you a nasty letter informing you that you have been reported. There is no requirement to fix it... it is just a letter that is supposed to shame you into fixing it. Alot of my diesel friends collect them like trading cards. It is a contest to see who has the most.

I'm just not sure which law your against breaking. The smoke? The speed? The tampering?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
No Way ....

That isn't my style ,just having some fun ....

Mac

(Between you and me ,get yourself a 90 HP Juice and Additude,stay off level 5 ... If your not 100% satisfied,send it back ... What did you think I was gonna say ,I'd buy it ??
)

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Mackin said:
No Way ....

That isn't my style ,just having some fun ....

Mac

(Between you and me ,get yourself a 90 HP Juice and Additude,stay off level 5 ... If your not 100% satisfied,send it back ... What did you think I was gonna say ,I'd buy it ??
)

And keep the low boost fueling at level 1 or 2.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
A TEN SPEED SEEMS TO HAVE RATHER LOW EMITIONS AS WELL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts