Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Guys,

This my edition of the LED power towing mirror application. Please note, that this post is not intended as a how-to-guide - it's not even a proper write-up; more like a how-I-did-it show-and-tell info.:bigglasse
My apologies in advance for photo quality. Some of the photos were taken last night in the dark with my cell phone.
First off, the mirrors installed:
TowMirror1.jpg

Installation was very easy, and luckily I had a wire go through the door boot into the cab from the old non-towing signal mirrors, so I didn't even have to get the door panels off.:clap:

I made a very simple wiring harness for each mirror consisting of some components I had lying around:
2 directional diodes
1 resistor (470 Ohm)
parts.jpg

+ 3 pcs of wire

Soldered up and with heat shrink, my harness looks like this:
harness.jpg

Red wire goes to either 12 volt supply or side marker lights depending on preference.
White wire goes to mirror
Blue wire goes to turn signal. (Tap into vehicle wiring)

Electrical schematics with the correct symbols, I don't know, but here's a go at it:
SchematicsDraft.jpg

Here's my easier-on-the-eye schematic (at least to myself, this is understandable):
Schematics.jpg

Connected this results in having the LEDs on the mirror as side marker lights dimmed, and when turn signals are on, the mirror LEDs light up brighter.
The resistor can easily be changed, should one want less or more dimmed lights with the marker function. Increased resistance equals dimmer lights.

Here's the marker light function:
MarkerLight.jpg

...and here's the turn signal:
TurnSignal.jpg
(Lord, I apologize for having those bad pictures....<Voice of LarryTheCableGuy>)

This harness can be used to turn any LEDs into dual function LEDs - I use the same setup with my bike, having all turn signals serve as dimmed marker lights as well.
May not be street legal, and info above is provided as is.
Feel free to copy this "design", just be careful you don't mess anything up on your own application :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Do you have a link to the mirrors when you bought them?

·
Registered
4,318 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was going for the heated ones, but figured WTH... :) It was a good deal, totally hassle-free, quick delivery (allthough overseas). Recommendable for sure.
...and yes, the mirrors are the ones with the extra bracket to support the extra weight of the mirrors.
They do have a little vibration in the larger mirror, but not more than what I expected; actually I had expected more vibration, maybe caused by my soon-to-be-changed shock absorbers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts