Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 509 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ok well I have searched the internet high and low and never found a write up on how to do this. So I present my fellow Diesel owners a good "How to"!! I chose to use white LEDs, but didnt achieve the proper effect that I was going for. Ill explain that later in the post. The LEDs require specific resistors, so do your homework before attempting this modification. You need to figure out the + and - on your cluster. This mod is not for the weak of the heart. I would say on a scale of 1-10 10 being the hardest ill give it a 6. If you have any questions feel free to post.

Parts needed:
Soldering Iron
LEDs
Resistors
A good steady hand.

Step 1:
Remove the cluster from the dash, I should not have to tell you how to do this.

Step 2:
Disassemble the cluster this is rahter difficult, and a PITA :D The needles are a serious pain to remove. Be extremely careful when pulling them off.

Step 3:
You should be down to the circuit board where the lights are.

Step 4:
Now you gotta remove the old bulbs, I used my soldering iron to heat the contacts and lightly lifted on the bulb, they come off pretty easy.

Step 5:
Soldering in the resistors, I tried to keep mine as short as possibly so that they wouldnt be taller then the bulbs i removed.

Step 6:
Hooking up the LEDs. This is pretty easy, if you found out the + and - on your dash, this really wont be a problem. Remember you want to keep these LEDs down low about the same hieght as the factory bulbs you removed.

Step 7:
Reassemble the dash, if you paid attention when you took it apart this wont be a problem. The needles are the hardest part.
If you are ready to set the needles, just unplug the cluster. Wait a few seconds and plug the cluster back in. Make sure the key is in the off position.

You will here the Motors reset when you plug in the cluster. Set each needle pointing to the low mark or 0.

The fuel needle, set a little below the low mark.

To test each needle setting, just unplug the cluster and plug back in. They will reset and should all be pointing at 0 or low.
You can also check your needles for proper placement by moving all of them in the vertical position ( pointing straight up), only after you have unplugged the cluster, and then plugging the cluster back in. When the cluster is plugged back in, the gauges should read 0 or low. Never move the needles when the cluster is plugged in.

Ok so my problem with this is the gauge overlay, the numbers are Blue, and when you light the dash up they come out blue. Im working on a fix now.

Hope you enjoyed.

JHForman

Reactions: Rte Cat

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Nice write up keep the blue and get yourself a set of Cobalt guages, match would be really nice.

Riley

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Got a parts list?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice write up keep the blue and get yourself a set of Cobalt guages, match would be really nice.

Riley
I can change the colors of my gauges on the pillar anytime, but the problem is all the other dash lights are white, and i dont think i really want all of them to light up blue =( I guess we will see as time goes on.

JHF

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
ps just some advice i have learned over the years of changing motorcycle gauges out... to get the needles off evenly without chancing bending them...

take 2 spoons(yes reg. spoons from the kitchen). put one under each side and pry up slowly and evenly much easier then trying to pop off by hand...

just some useful info...

btw i want blue gauges so damn bad to match my cobalts... that would be badazz i think i might try this soon!!!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a parts list?

10 LEDs(3mm) i also have a set of 5mm coming so i may change out to those. we will see.
and 10 resistors. I cant tell you what resistors you will need. It all depends on where you purchase the LEDs from. I bought mine off ebay.

I left the stock turn signal bulbs i didnt see a need to change them out.

JHF

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ps just some advice i have learned over the years of changing motorcycle gauges out... to get the needles off evenly without chancing bending them...

take 2 spoons(yes reg. spoons from the kitchen). put one under each side and pry up slowly and evenly much easier then trying to pop off by hand...

just some useful info...

btw i want blue gauges so damn bad to match my cobalts... that would be badazz i think i might try this soon!!!!
I may try using blue LEDs instead of white and see if they will match the blue in my gauges on the pillar, but like i stated earlier im not sure i want to change out all the rest of my bulbs =(

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
look closely at the bulbs. there are only actually 2 contacts.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
that is slick;)

iirc doesnt the color change via voltage going thro the LED?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Duh!

I Meant how did you get the other end of the resistor to the light bulb without it sticking up 5 feet in the air

Haha im sorry i didnt mean to give a dumb answer. I put the + end of the LED to the resistor, and soldered the 2 ends together. Then i took the snips and cut them down to right below the stepper motors that is how i determined how tall to make them.

how do you know which of the 4 solder spots to use? Thanks for the info!
After unsoldering the bulbs(factory), i used a volt meter to determine which ones to use.

that is slick

iirc doesnt the color change via voltage going thro the LED?
The bulbs do get brighter, but the gauge color still shows blue. also to answer a question i know is coming, Yes the bulbs still Dim

Keep asking questions i will be glad to answer. Im getting ready to take it back apart to see if i can get the gauges white instead of blue, so i will take pictures of the connections soldered on.

JHF

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Lets move this to DIY...good write up.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
The bulbs do get brighter, but the gauge color still shows blue. also to answer a question i know is coming, Yes the bulbs still Dim
all i want is a brighter dash

what is the ohm rating on the reisitors? or the color code

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
all i want is a brighter dash

what is the ohm rating on the reisitors? or the color code
with the dash fully turned up(dimmer switch). It is REALLY BRIGHT. The pictures i took were with it turned down about half way. My bulbs were 3.2 foward voltage and 30MA so i used a 330 ohm resistor, this will vary on what bulbs you buy.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
with the dash fully turned up(dimmer switch). It is REALLY BRIGHT. The pictures i took were with it turned down about half way. My bulbs were 3.2 foward voltage and 30MA so i used a 330 ohm resistor, this will vary on what bulbs you buy.
that 330 ohm knocking out enough of the voltage?

i know a high ohm resistor will cut the brightness down maybe 500 ohm resistor?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
that 330 ohm knocking out enough of the voltage?

i know a high ohm resistor will cut the brightness down maybe 500 ohm resistor?

I ran the calculations on it several times and came up with needing a 330ohm resistor for the LEDs that i was using. I was looking at a set of 490s though, so if these burn out i will use a higher ohm resistor.

I have been messing around with the gauge overlay and have also determined that using white LEDs will result in blue gauges(thats what you see in the pictures). Im going to try running amber bulbs and see if the will light up white instead of blue. the factory bulbs light up a yellow/amber color.

JHF

1 - 20 of 509 Posts