Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this is the type of thing one can expect with a higher mileage vehicle.:( I have leaky fuel lines between the IP and fuel filter. I nipped off the ends and reclamped the ones I could get at but still have some fuel pooling in the valley under the intake manifold. I assume I am going to have to take off the intake manifold to get at and replace those lines. Can anyone tell me what size and how many lines I'll need for replacement and any other tips that would be helpful? I already have new gaskets for the manifold. Do I need to use the same studs in the same holes? Do I need to replace the injector lines? They are not likely to be as old and worn as the injectors were replaced 50k miles ago. Do I need to bleed the injector lines after the work is done?
Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Pull the intake manifold bolts, nuts and studs, remove the injector pipe clamps, lift the manifold out of the valley - no need to remove the injector pipes.

The hose is for Diesel fuel service, metric 1/4" and 5/16"

·
Registered
345 Posts
Fysh guide;1563467; said:
I guess this is the type of thing one can expect with a higher mileage vehicle.:( I have leaky fuel lines between the IP and fuel filter. I nipped off the ends and reclamped the ones I could get at but still have some fuel pooling in the valley under the intake manifold. I assume I am going to have to take off the intake manifold to get at and replace those lines. Can anyone tell me what size and how many lines I'll need for replacement and any other tips that would be helpful? I already have new gaskets for the manifold. Do I need to use the same studs in the same holes? Do I need to replace the injector lines? They are not likely to be as old and worn as the injectors were replaced 50k miles ago. Do I need to bleed the injector lines after the work is done?
Thanks
Dan
You can do this without pulling the intake manifold by sacrificing some length of hose and a few barb fittings. Pull the feed line off of the top of the IP. Pull the bleeder hose from the bleeder valve. Attach the new line to the end of the hose you just pulled off the IP with a hose barb. Attach anothe piece to the hose you just pulled off the bleeder valve. Pull the fuel filter up and disconnect the wiring harness to give you some room to play with. There are two hoses on the bottom of the fuel filter going towards the front of the engine. Pull and replace one at a time leaving a little extra at the front of the engine to work with. You will be using the old line to fish the new line under the manifold. Re-connect and clamp at the fuel filter after you are done pulling in the new lines. Re-connect the lines at the IP and bleeder valve.
No need to replace injector lines either way.
All lines are 1/4".
Good luck.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"You will be using the old line to fish the new line under the manifold."

Ya know what Irelandd? You may be speaking a language I understand! The feed line is the one off the top of the pump curling over and down, and the bleeder is the one on drivers side base of IP? If memory serves me isn't there another line feeding back from the IP base, passenger side?
If I can't pull this off (through) I may take you up on that Jim....!:)
Thanks to all...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
See if you can find some wire loom to cover the lines where they will be rubbing or exposed to heat.

·
Registered
345 Posts
DavidPhillips;1564251; said:
See if you can find some wire loom to cover the lines where they will be rubbing or exposed to heat.
Good idea. Wish I thought of that when I had my engine apart.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
You can still slide something on the line if you take it apart at the front.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Damn, thats too easy, I wish my 92 and 93 were that easy to change, the IP feed on those is in the center of the injector lines. I may do my 94 this weekend since there that easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts