Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Eric (or if Eric is busy anyone else?),

I checked my tranny oil about a month after receiving it (I bought it 2 months ago from a Chev dealer as an Optimum Used vehicle -- not sure if that's what they call them in the US be here that's a premium used vehicle) and noticed that it was about 1 quart high. At the time I assumed it was just over filled by the previous owner. Last night I got around to changing the oil in the transfer case - it was really low, just under 1 quart. I'm assuming that these two are related and that the TCase is leaking into the Tranny through the front seal in the TCase .

I have a booking to bring it into the dealership tomorrow - I've explained the problem as I see it - is there anything else it could be or that I should have them check. I'm hoping it's covered in the Optimum warrantee, but will they undertake this work just on my word that one was low and the other was high? Is there something else they can easily check to confirm this problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
EnerMax

Let me see If I can assist .... I highly doubt that extra quart in your Allison is that missing quart in you T case ....

The T-case is a sealed unit separated by an adapter ... This adapter belly alone would hold that quart of Tranny fluid from the T-case...

First how are you checking the Allison fluid ??

Cold idling in park at lower cold level on the stick or Hot above 150 degrees idling in park at or in the high level marks on the stick ...

The T-case more than likely came light on fluid from the factory if no external leaks are present ...

You can take it to the dealer but I'm sure the will not drop the T-case to inspect the front seal on the T-case .... That seal is on the pricey side as seals go also ...

There is a small amount of fluid in this valley between Allison and T-case that gets splashed (I assume) to lubricate the big roller bearing in the tail of the Allison ....

I would top off the T-case and keep an eye on the fluid level ....

Change the spin on cartridge on the Allison .... Don't top off any fluid, recheck level as described above ....

Good luck ....

Mac Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makin,

I checked the Tranny fluid with the stick both ways before touching anything. It was on the high side cold and hot. I was in the process of changing all the fluids just for peace of mind (since the vehicle was pre-owned and I have no records of maintenance for the vehicle & nor did the dealer). I swapped out the front and rear diffs and then was moving on to the tranny. When I pulled the plug I new right away that the oil was perfect and that they must have just changed it (service on the tranny was scheduled just before I took delivery). I plugged it and thought I'd top-off with new stuff for the amount I had just let drain - but the oil was already high even though I had just drained a few ounces. I waited for it to cool and checked - still high -- went out for a long drive and checked it - high. Over a few days I repeatedly would remove some and then check it both hot and cool and continued this until it indicated the proper level at both temps.

I'll go with your suggestion - I'll watch both levels closely for the next few weeks and see what happens. My concern was doing damage while waiting ‘more’ damage while waiting to see what would happen.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Question - I assumed that I couldn't change the spin on Alison Filter without draining the fluid?Edited by: EnerMax

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
"Question - I assumed that I couldn't change the spin on Alison Filter without draining the fluid?"

You can change it any time .... First change is at 5k then 25 k intravels,recomended ....

As reported from a Allison goo-roo 77Transam "A quart high a quart low" really makes no differance in tranny operation .... True I'm sure ,so don't worry about damage ....

That being said I prefer as others will to keep in the safe zone .... A spin on change yields about a pint or so of fluid loss .... Dont forget the magnet !!!!!!

I have over filled my tranny and it will weep when "HOT" I mean "HOT" temps in access of 200 degrees,or near there a quart over full .... I could tell you've where I've been but it would scare the pants of of some of you....At the temps I seen at the high end of HOT fluid level it would weep also ...Not good ....

So keep her safe to avoid the mess ,in between the lines ....

Mac

Edited by: Mackin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts