Diesel Place banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2022 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ SRW
1,807 Posts
I have a 2019 with 20,000 kms (12,500 miles) on the odometer. While doing a wheel rotation I noticed that the left hand back side of the rear differential was covered in black oily dirt.

I couldn't determine exactly where the leak or seepage was coming from, although it appeared to be maybe from the top left, looking from the back. I checked bolt tightness, all OK, so I washed the casing and will start monitoring it for resumption of seepage. No point in going to the dealer until I can be a bit more specific.

While I wait though, I thought I would ask who else has had this issue and what was the cause? Highly unlikely that mine is the only 2019 with the problem.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on guys - I can hardly believe it. Four days with no comments. Am I REALLY the ONLY 2019 owner with a leaky rear diff ??? Maybe I have to start believing that it's a "one off".

· Registered
1,062 Posts
I have a 2019 with 20,000 kms (12,500 miles) on the odometer. While doing a wheel rotation I noticed that the left hand back side of the rear differential was covered in black oily dirt.
Your service department will most likely call that it's not a leak. GM long time ago has change there policy on moisture, they say it's not a leak. It's not a leak until it's a visible oil leak.
Long time ago I had moisture around my lower oil pan and they weren't going to fix it then but I told them if there moisture there's a leak.
They fixed it but I doubt they would now.
Take it in and be persistent and good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Also I highly doubt you will find someone else have this leak being so new of vehical.

· Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've concluded that's exactly where my leaking is occurring. Please keep us posted on your progress Busdriver47 - there may be a widespread problem here.

· Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the update. I'm heading out of town for a few weeks, but I'm planning to pursue the problem when I get back in late September.

· Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hope you can get the diff replaced under warranty Anawesomejet. Solved MY problem by trading in for a 2022, unless, of course, the 2022 ends up with the same problem:(

· Registered
2,916 Posts
Check the vent and vent hose to see if its kinked and doesn't vent.

· Registered
300 Posts
Vent is my vote also. My other trucks had the same problem. Issue was vent after 3 seals.

· Registered
2019 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CC/SB 4x4
2,236 Posts
I'll play. Yesterday discovered. 2019 with 30K. Rear PS wheel. 2500 miles from home towing RV. Lovely.
View attachment 647420
I tested my vent hose before going to dealer. Could below thru it albeit not easy. Mentioned vent at dealer but they said it was seal and replaced while I waited. That was 12K miles ago and so far no leaks.

· Premium Member
17,503 Posts
A few of mine had the bearing preload too loose, IMHO, and saw early seal failures.

Reactions: OkDually
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.