Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i guess since the body shop replaced a couple of my roof marker lights after the tree incident, they aren't sealing very well. Never had any problems with them until they were removed and replaced.

Yesterday while plowing water started dripping out of my gauge pillar.... out of the corner of my high idle switch. The upper corner of my headliner where it meets the pillar was soaked.

Any special procedure for sealing them? Just unscrew and silicone the holes? Problem righ now is the cold. I don't think silicone will cure in it, will it?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hoot said:
Just unscrew and silicone the holes?

That's exactly what I'd do. Blob it around each hole so that there's a little 'levee' left in place. I also put rubber grommets in the wire holes, fwiw.

As for temps, GE's web site http://www.gesealants.com/sealants/default.shtml says this:

Our Silicone products can be applied from below freezing to 110°.

I'd still try to do it in a garage if possible, though. Good luck!

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

Exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
463 Posts
hoot,

I always use 3M 5200 Marine Sealant on anything I need sealed permanently. It's a polyeurathane sealant that is FAR superior to silicone and adheres to smooth surfaces much better. It comes in a caulking tube and costs between $6 and $8. It will outlast silicone, and can be applied even if the surface is wet.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
That Marine Sealant works great! West Marine has a all different types. By this I mean, setup times and holding strenghts.

You got new roof and new lights right? I wounder if they installed them wrong...and did not use factory parts?

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
I had a problem like this on my Hummer and it was the seals around the light. They had to take the light out and replace the seal and add some silicone to make it stop leaking. Also have them check the drain tube under the lights, sometimes they can get clogged up and cause problems.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
If you haven't already goobered them up, only 100% silicone (I use GE brand) will work sub zero, will tack, cure and hold. I've used it at 10 degrees, no problems. Label says apply above 40 degrees, but I assume that's just a corporate diaper covering their bottom.
3M 5200 will work, but I haven't had the best luck with applying to wet surfaces. Tends to curl and peel, at least in salt water applications. Other than that, if you use 5200, you better like whatever it's touching there for good - rubber gasket to roof. Also, silicone generally not UV resistant for long exposure, not that any will be exposed.

I hope this info helps some, and finds the cab of your truck nice and dry.

Ty

·
Registered
276 Posts
What Ty said. As a longtime boater, I've used 5200 (and 4200) for many projects. Its great stuff in the marine environment, but its VERY permanent. If you use it on the screws for roof lights, for example, you probably won't be able to get them out later when its time to change a bulb.

Good ole GE (and Dow) Silicone is hard to beat.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And I've got plenty laying around.

Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts