Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brake booster on my Duramax is leaking power steering fluid. It leaks underneath the booster where it joins with the master cylinder. I took it to my GMC dealer and showed them where it leaks. Without even looking to where I was showing the leak, he says "oh yea the line rubs on a bolt there and causes a leak" I corrected him by telling him that there is not a bolt anywhere that line, and the lines are not what is leaking. I showed him again exactly where the leak is coming from. There is a small rectangular pocket under the booster where the leak comes from. I made it very clear that the booster is what is leaking, and made sure he wrote it up that way. I also told him that I had added power steering fluid to bring the level back to normal. My other complaint was that the park brake will not hold on a hill. They called me to come pick it up, they told me there is nothing wrong with it. The tech tightened the brake lines just to make sure. The park brake is normal. So I asked them if they had cleaned up the oily mess all over the driver side engine compartment. Of course they did not clean it. They promised it would be clean by the time I got there to pick it up. It was not cleaned when they gave me the keys, and they had driven it for 6 miles.

By this time I am really pissed!

I had shown them exactly where the leak was coming from. Instead of fixing it they checked the power steering level. Since it was full they figured it must not be leaking. Even though I had told them that I had just filled it. He also tightened the lines even though I had told them that the lines were not leaking. When I complained about them not cleaning up the oily mess, he went and got a rag and some window cleaner. I made them powerwash it instead. When I asked them about replacing the booster (this is what I brought it in for), they told me that their tech was gone, and I will have to bring it in another day so they could do further analysis. They told me the parking brake was not a problem, it is normal. I guess parking brakes are not considered necessary anymore. I was lucky they only had my truck one day, they had my last truck for 2 weeks without fixing it (they lost it for some of that time).

Do other people have problems like this with their dealers, or do I just have bad luck? What should I do?

Edited by: DuckDog

·
Registered
429 Posts
DuckDog try putting your foot down, you have to draw the line somewhere, and it doesn't always pay to be a nice guy. I know the these sound like cliches, but it's true. Don't be an ahole, but stand your groud and be firm 'til your satisfied. If you let the deler off easy, they'll continue to abuse you. If that fails go above their heads or find another dealer. Believe me, I've been there with a previous truck.

Josh

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Run the thing dry on PS fluid,.........

Ruining the Hydro Booster ?? and the PS pump ??? because it has no fluid.

Get both replaced..........warranty of coarse

Tell them you were told that there was nothing wrong.

T
NY

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
DuckDog

Go to auto parts store get one of them OLE fashion battery fillers .... You know the ones that look like a rubber turkey baster ??
Near empty the fluid reservoir in the power steering pump .... Squirt a little on the hydro booster ....
Call your salesperson check his schedule .....
Go to dealer ask to see service writer after bringing your sales person with you to service department ....

Show them the truck along with your last service invoice ....

Explain I would consider recommending your dealership to my friends but I wouldn't want them to be inconvenienced like I am right now over a known issue that GM has a problem with leaking Hydro Boosters .... A simple check on TSB's would have solved this the first time .... I'm not a happy customer, you know where to reach me ....

Have a good day sirs !!!!!

You didn't hear this from me ... But I'm guarantying 100% satisfaction with your problem .....By yourself some Gunk you can and will clean it up better then them ....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thank you Mackin!

It sounds like you have been there!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Mackin ~ now THAT is cunning

·
Registered
692 Posts
sorry to hear about this in my opinion most if not all service advisor and mgrs are as worthless as a jackass. as a tech i see so many repair orders writen so carelessly such as (owner hears a noise) thats it none else, and asking the advisor to call the owner to get more info is like asking him to bend over back words. its a joke ive have got on the phone and called to owner direct (you know tech to owner relationships work so good)more is done and most of the time we flat rate tech make more money. so i did this and the advisor went to the service mgr saying we cant have this he is the (stupid ) tech i am the advisor he can not go above me. i got yelled at for this. so the guy who fixes it and dies it every day is to just guess. any way call the tech talk to him trus me more wiil be done with 5 min of time with a tech than 30min with and advisor or mgr. hey buy the tech a soda and talk to him he is human.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Patrick,

I think you are right. The service advisors, and their careless communication are the problem. I would really like to skip them and communicate directly with the tech that will be working on the vehicle. Our past experience with this dealer has been terrible. They are the closest dealer to my home, and my selling dealer, but I am thinking that the best thing to do is never go back there. The next time I go to a dealer for service I will demand to meet with the tech before I will leave the vehicle. I will also be very critical of the vauge way that the service orders are written. The wire harness rubbing through, with bare wires exposed never even got looked at.

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Patrick hit it dead on. Most service advisors dont get proper info and the tech is expected to fix it when most of the time he hardly knows what he is chasin. If at all possible, get to know the tech at your dealer and return the truck to him when you come in, the relationship you build will make it less likely to bring in the truck only to pick it up not repaired or similer. Ask ANY of my D-max customers, I deal with all of them one on one. Truck is fixed first visit 99% of time. Happy customer, happy tech.

DUCKDOG, I know we have discussed this before......Your not bringing it to Grand Rapids why?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Eric,

I am recovering from surgery, and that is too far for me to drive right now. I thought that the things I needed fixed were simple enough for any dealer to fix. I guess I was wrong. I don't go back to work until January. Maybee I will bring it over after Christmas.

Thanks,

DuckDog

·
Registered
391 Posts
Wow I had the same problem with my 3500,
showed the mgr the leak and he (after a couple of days)changed the booster unit, I was told thay had problems with early built 04's and changed to a slightly different mod on booster.

ps. no charge

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

DuckDog said:
The brake booster on my Duramax is leaking power steering fluid. It leaks underneath the booster where it joins with the master cylinder. I took it to my GMC dealer and showed them where it leaks. Without even looking to where I was showing the leak, he says "oh yea the line rubs on a bolt there and causes a leak" I corrected him by telling him that there is not a bolt anywhere that line, and the lines are not what is leaking. I showed him again exactly where the leak is coming from. There is a small rectangular pocket under the booster where the leak comes from. I made it very clear that the booster is what is leaking, and made sure he wrote it up that way. I also told him that I had added power steering fluid to bring the level back to normal. My other complaint was that the park brake will not hold on a hill. They called me to come pick it up, they told me there is nothing wrong with it. The tech tightened the brake lines just to make sure. The park brake is normal. So I asked them if they had cleaned up the oily mess all over the driver side engine compartment. Of course they did not clean it. They promised it would be clean by the time I got there to pick it up. It was not cleaned when they gave me the keys, and they had driven it for 6 miles.

By this time I am really pissed!

I had shown them exactly where the leak was coming from. Instead of fixing it they checked the power steering level. Since it was full they figured it must not be leaking. Even though I had told them that I had just filled it. He also tightened the lines even though I had told them that the lines were not leaking. When I complained about them not cleaning up the oily mess, he went and got a rag and some window cleaner. I made them powerwash it instead. When I asked them about replacing the booster (this is what I brought it in for), they told me that their tech was gone, and I will have to bring it in another day so they could do further analysis. They told me the parking brake was not a problem, it is normal. I guess parking brakes are not considered necessary anymore. I was lucky they only had my truck one day, they had my last truck for 2 weeks without fixing it (they lost it for some of that time).

Do other people have problems like this with their dealers, or do I just have bad luck? What should I do?

·
Registered
391 Posts
FORGOT TO ADD MY BRAKES FELT STIFFER AFTER CHANGE OUT.

DONE AT HOUSER BUICK& GMC SPFLD MASS.

JUST TALK NICE TO SERVICE MGR AND HE IS A GOOD GUY.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I found that I got the best service from my dealer when I leave him a computer generated letter with the discription in detail of each item that I want repaired.

with a separate paragraph for each item:
<UL>
<LI>and "bullets" with details.</LI>[/list]

He gave my descriptions to the mechanic. The mechanic could check "my words" for reference if he had any questions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts