Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new LBZ with about 700 miles on it. I have been noticing spray droplets all around the alernator. I've noticed spray on the oil filler tube, just to the right of the alternator, spray on the AC line that runs just above the alternator to the front of the radiator, and spray on the air intake ducting just to the left of the alternator. I can not trace the origin of the droplets or exactly what it is thought it does appear to be thicker than water and it doesn't evaporate the way water would. My only guess is that the alternator has excess baring oil which is bleeding off and getting sprayed all around. I wipe it off everytime I pop the hood and it keeps coming back.
I don't want to take it in to the dealer for this if it is just a normal part of breakin. I'm sure most people wouldn't even notice it but I'm not like most poeple. I'm like a lot of you guys on here that loves to pop the hood and stare at my shiny new LBZ diesel.
Thanks

·
Banned
720 Posts
it is probally oil on this used i assembly of the engine and it will just wear off or like i did took my pressure washer and wash under my hood 1 time a month to keep it looking new

·
Registered
279 Posts
There`s nothing normal about this. Take it back to the dealer !

:ro)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I got two completely different responses here...Jomar are you just playing around or are you serious about it being a big problem? I'm hoping to find people on here that have experienced the same thing and confirm to me that it's just normal.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured it out...my guess was right. Pulled the black cap off the front of the alternator pully to find a big sealed baring. Guess it's not sealed good or it was just over greased during assmbly. Oil is oozing out and getting sprayed all around. I wiped it and sprayed it with compressed air to blow out what ever excess was left...we'll see if that does it. If it dosen't stop I guess I'll have to bring her in...I'm just happy I know what it is now so I can tell the service writter what exactly the problem is. Was surprised to see the baring is a product of Germany...very nice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts