Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I had a leak from the Allison where bell housing joins the Duramax. Took it to the dealer. Here is what they found / did:

"Inspected for leaks. Noted oil leak at rear of block. Installed oil dye and monitored. found oil lead at oil gallery plug. Removed, resealed and reinstalled. Tested for repair. No other leaks noted"

OK. I'm dumb . . . What is the "oil gallery plug" and where is it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Oil galleries are drilled into the block and carry the pressurized lubricating oil to where it's supposed to go. When they drill, they often have to drill all the way through the casting. Then they tap and insert a plug where they want a "dead end" so the oil will go up to vertical drilled galleries coming down into the horizontal. I suspect it was the rear of one of the two "sub galleries" that are large fore/aft galleries along each side of the lower block, fed from the front with pressurized oil, supply the piston cooling jets and feed upwards to the crankshaft/camshaft galleries drilled down at angles from above. I'm thinking it was the rear of gallery 4, 5 or 6.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Idle Chatter!

Makes it very clear.
Thanks a million. I do appreciate your response!

Rollingthunder

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
No problem, I had to find that stinkin' scan for the oil filter bypass thread, anyway. I'm betting on either gallery 5 or 6 - do you know which side was leaking? ( driver/passenger)

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
No problem, I had to find that stinkin' scan for the oil filter bypass thread, anyway. I'm betting on either gallery 5 or 6 - do you know which side was leaking? ( driver/passenger)
See, and because of that previous discussion you were right on the spot knowing what you were talking about. Isn't this site great?

By the way, I don't know if I said before or not, but thank you for posting that info and for participating in that other thread about the bypasses. :ro)

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
No thanks necessary, Chris. I learned a lot in that thread about the filter head, oil cooler and bypasses from your research and photos - already had the galleries figured out!

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Tom, is there any chance of doing a hi-res scan? I could host it if you like.
Sure, KB. That image was "bastardized" in the process of scanning and posting due to posting restrictions. I'm currently in the middle of relocating my computer to a new P4 Dell, so I've been struggling with connections and peripherals for the last 2 days. I can rescan and repost the best allowed (I can scan at 1200 dpi - but will have to resize to 700x600 to post) that comes out pretty clear - and/or I can email you the 1200 dpi source file.

Well, here's an upgrade - but got some "bleed through" on the high res scan:

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts