Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '93 C2500 6.5 diesel has had a problem of a clunk/thump from the right rear about half the time when I'm backing up and hit the brakes. Got under it and tugged/pulled/pried on all of the suspension. Nothing loose that I could find. But I noticed the isolator (or whatever you call them) between the topmost and next lower leaf in the right hand rear spring was displaced and appeared to be working/slipping. Also, the leaves were staggered like the shackle had come loose but the shackle was dead tight. The left rear spring had no evidence of this. I figure the leaves on the right rear are shifting and making the noise? If any of you guys have had this problem and sorted it out, I'd sure like to hear any advice. I read some good comments on these folks: Truck Parts & Trailer Parts - Pickup Truck & Trailer to Semi Truck I figure to replace them both, but thought I'd post this to see if anyone else had had the problem. Thanks for your time and any advice.

That link is the right rear.

And that one is the left rear.

·
Administrator
18,724 Posts
Have you checked the Axle U bolts and Saddle Brackets?
Shackle assembly not cracked or bent?
Leaf Spring Bushings intact?

Checked Carrier Bearing on the driveshaft ( If equipped)?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, did check all of that and really tugged/pried/wrenched on everything. That center driveshaft carrier bearing was replaced a couple years ago and no play there. I could see some rust powder also from between the leaves on that right rear spring like they'd been rubbing. Pretty sure the springs are the problem but thought I'd ask here first.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Checked for cracked leaves? Some times they are not easy to see. I'm replacing the rear springs on my 2500 gasser burb right now. I knew I had at least one cracked leaf on each side. I planned on just replacing the broken ones until I found out that the main leaf on the driver side was broke. Now replacing both side complete packs. Chances are good that you will need 6" cut off discs to cut the bolts. I watched several utube videos on the replacement process. General Spring in Kansas City is a good quality vendor. Good price, American made springs and very fast shipping. Don't re-use the u-bolts.

Reactions: 56pan and OkDually

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to replace both side, bk. I'll try the acetylene heat wrench on the bolts as it's very rarely failed me.

·
Registered
381 Posts
that right spring looks bent to me.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Up here in the rust belt, the bolts are so rusted to the steel sleeve in the rubber bushing, it's like they are welded together. I tried heating with a torch and even bought a induction heater like the exhaust and suspension shops use, to no avail. The 6 inch cut-off discs fit my 4 1/2" grinder and made very quick work of it.

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thankfully, bk, I don't have that evil problem here in NC. Hopefully, the heat wrench will do the job.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts