Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, been a member here since 2006. Had LB7 for quite a while then bought a 12 valve Cummins and daily drove them both but ended up selling the LB7. I did the front end on my lb7, pump rub, water pump, cp3, a set of injectors on my brothers lb7 etc. Not really afraid to mess around with them. My lb7 had 270 some thousand miles on it when I sold it. Went a couple years without a duramax then I bought my 06 LBZ a little over 4 years ago now. It had 102k miles on it. It’s bone stock other than the 5 inch exhaust. It’s got 161k on it now and I just ordered a pitman and idler arm and a set of rare parts tie rods for it. I’m just curious to know if with the LBZ motors is it possible to switch out one injector at a time when/if mine ever start to go bad? Obviously if I keep the truck for a long time and get over 300k miles or something then I’d replace them all but I was just wondering how people usually go about doing this.

Reactions: Tolliwacker

· Administrator
22,220 Posts
Welcome back

IF you have one troublesome injector you can replace it.

It would be wise to invest in a monitor like a CTS 3 so you can keep watch on injector balance rates and see trouble codes as they happen
(y)

Reactions: biotec and 1LTREATR

· Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it. I’ve actually been kicking around selling it and trying to find a 7.3 powerstroke with around the same mileage as my LBZ but I’m not dead set on doing that. I recently bought another 97 12 valve with 148k miles on it but it’s going to be a tiny project. I’m starting to like the older trucks more and more these days for some reason. I’ve always been a GM guy though.

Reactions: OkDually

· Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My brothers a mechanic so I just use one of his scanners to check the balance rates. Another question out of curiosity, is there any type of scanner available to check return rates yet? I know balance rates don’t tell the whole story. As I start to get closer to the 200k mile mark I’m going hook the scanner up more and more to keep an eye on things. I just randomly checked the prices for a set of lbz injectors and about choked. I can’t believe how much the lb7 injector prices have come down. But if you can change out one or two bad ones when the time comes that makes me feel better. I know the job isn’t anywhere near as bad with a LBZ compared to a LB7

· Administrator
22,220 Posts
My brothers a mechanic so I just use one of his scanners to check the balance rates. Another question out of curiosity, is there any type of scanner available to check return rates yet? I know balance rates don’t tell the whole story. As I start to get closer to the 200k mile mark I’m going hook the scanner up more and more to keep an eye on things. I just randomly checked the prices for a set of lbz injectors and about choked. I can’t believe how much the lb7 injector prices have come down. But if you can change out one or two bad ones when the time comes that makes me feel better. I know the job isn’t anywhere near as bad with a LBZ compared to a LB7
Look up Duramax "Flow Return Test" or "Bottle Test"

There are some good videos on Youtube regarding flow return testing Duramax injectors

· Administrator
22,220 Posts
If you want a set of injectors I recommend you contact Brent over at Lincon Diesel Specialties. They have kits to make the job go easier
(y)

Reactions: biotec

· Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, I remember reading about the return rate tests years ago and have recommended Lincoln diesel in the past. The cost of lbz injectors compared to 7.3 injectors is one of the things that got my brain working but if You can change them out one at a time it’s not a huge deal. I’ve read about people getting a ton of miles on lbz injectors and cp3’s so it makes
Me feel better. Then I’ll randomly be searching and all the crank breaking issues come up and I’ll start getting cold sweats again

Reactions: OkDually

· Registered
07 LBZ ccsb
91 Posts
You can change out just one injector on an LBZ. Took me about 20 minutes to change one out, depends on which one it is as to the time involved. The good thing about LBZ injectors is that I have found the GM injector cleaner will usually clean them up and bring the balance rates to normal.
7.3 is a good motor but you will get better MPG's with the LBZ, I routinely get 20+ mpg on the highway, don't think you can do that with a 7.3

· Registered
6,233 Posts
Hello everyone, been a member here since 2006. Had LB7 for quite a while then bought a 12 valve Cummins and daily drove them both but ended up selling the LB7. I did the front end on my lb7, pump rub, water pump, cp3, a set of injectors on my brothers lb7 etc. Not really afraid to mess around with them. My lb7 had 270 some thousand miles on it when I sold it. Went a couple years without a duramax then I bought my 06 LBZ a little over 4 years ago now. It had 102k miles on it. It’s bone stock other than the 5 inch exhaust. It’s got 161k on it now and I just ordered a pitman and idler arm and a set of rare parts tie rods for it. I’m just curious to know if with the LBZ motors is it possible to switch out one injector at a time when/if mine ever start to go bad? Obviously if I keep the truck for a long time and get over 300k miles or something then I’d replace them all but I was just wondering how people usually go about doing this.
I have changed only the bad injectors in my LB7, it was 5 of them, and drove her another 10 or so years, now I replaced all 8 with the new SAC injectors a couple of years ago.

If you are doing the maintenance like I am, do as you please! I like to only replace the bad parts. I only replaced all 8 injectors this time because of the new style and wanted them all the same.

· Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol man tolliwacker, I remember you from waaaay back. Still have the same avatar!! Still have the old LB7 huh? How many miles do you have on it now? I had the pump rub happen on my old lb7 and didn’t know it was a common problem at the time and threw a tantrum on here and you helped calm me down. Either way, I know all about lb7 injectors and how it’s a good idea to do them all at once because of how much work it is I just wondered if there was any particular reason why it’s a bad idea to only do one at a time on a LBZ if I ever have to. I was pricing out 7.3 powerstroke injectors compared to lbz injectors and a set for a 7.3 is about half the price lol.
I have changed only the bad injectors in my LB7, it was 5 of them, and drove her another 10 or so years, now I replaced all 8 with the new SAC injectors a couple of years ago.

If you are doing the maintenance like I am, do as you please! I like to only replace the bad parts. I only replaced all 8 injectors this time because of the new style and wanted them all the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts