Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize the LBZ will run on the ULSD as long as you add some kind of lubricant to the fuel. Does the LMM also require an additive or have they actually made a change to the engine to make it totally safe on the ULSD alone.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
supposedly the ulsd has added lube additives that the old fuel had already in it. thats what i have read. i have been running it in my lly for a few months now and it is just fine.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
It is chemically added during the refining process with lubes other than sulfer....

Its only a matter of time to see if this new fuel is going to cause problems with these high pressure common rail, injection pumps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
ULSD Fuel

The ULSD issue is not the engine but the injection pump and injectors. The Low Sulfer Diesel has some lubrication , however the new ULSD will need to be added by the supplier or refiner. To be safe you might consider adding Standyne or some other quality product.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I'm assuming that the injectors and pumps are the same in the LMM as they are in the LBZ and the only reason the LMM needs the ULSD is because the 500ppm fuel will harm the filter/trap that they have added to the 2007 diesels.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
drcurtis;1545613; said:
So, I'm assuming that the injectors and pumps are the same in the LMM as they are in the LBZ and the only reason the LMM needs the ULSD is because the 500ppm fuel will harm the filter/trap that they have added to the 2007 diesels.
Correct the extra sulfer burns causes extra soot the dpf (diesel particulate filter) cant handle. Supposedly , lubricity wise, the new stuff usld is supposed to have lubricity added to it to make it equivelent to lsd. USLD does however have less energy then lsd so fuel milage suffers. We use more fuel on these new engines then the older ones makesyou wonder how your burning more fuel but the new ones are cleaner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.