Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trip was from Middlebury, In to Draper (Salt Lake City), Ut and back. Total miles traveled was 3173 and it was close to a 50/50 split towing and not (about 1540 towing). I towed a 23 foot travel trailer. Total fuel used was 270.03 gallons for an overall average of 11.75 mpg.

All towing speeds were 64mph.

Laporte, In (filled up in Laporte) to Cheyenne, Wy towing very windy 20mph sustained head winds with 30mph gusts avg 9.98 mpg. Predator on tow.

Cheyenne, Wy to Draper, Ut and back to Cheyenne, 50/50 towing and not still windy and on the way back ran 78 mph. 3.75 hrs idle time. 12.94mpg. Predator on tow.

Cheyenne to Middlebury and back to Laporte. Predator on 65hp tune ran 74-76 mph until IL then 70 mph. Had about 120 miles or so running 55-60 and a few in town. 6.5 hours of idle time. Towed a 30 foot travel trailer from Middlebury to Laporte (60 or so miles in the wind). Avg 13.66mpg.

The wind were pretty good most of the miles, either head on or side, I never really got a tail wind.

Not really impressed with the Predator as far a mpg gains, although the extra power is nice. I am going to log and compare for a while longer and then may try a different programmer or an Edge box.

Any opinions or ideas??

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Just ran from Home to KZ to pick up my toy hauler, spent about 1/2 the mile in 4x4 @ 45 the balance at 72, avg 11.2 round trip, evo on lvl 2. Not sure if its the new rounded nose and fiber glass side or the evo, but i'm up about 1.5-2 mpg. The fall trip down and back neted me 9.5. Both trips were on fuel form home and both should have ben winter blend. I calc every tank so time will tell.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Hypertech or Superchips will give you better fuel economy any day of the week. Your numbers dont seem too far off from normal though. 13 and some change isnt bad considering your speed, winds and idle time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I tow a 28ft 5th wheel that weighs in at about 9,000lbs when loaded for a trip. I've gotten down in the 8MPG range and up into the 12MPG and everything in between. Speed and WIND is the killer, that duramax pulls so nice you don't realize how hard it is working until you stop for fuel. I would like to travel for a day with a tail wind just to see what it would be like just once!!! It seems I only travel when the wind is blowing the wrong way. I purchased a ScanGauge II a few weeks ago and while I haven't pulled the trailer yet, I think it will be a real asset. It sure lets you know when you are pushing it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My fuel mileage is dropping big time,empty from 16-18 mpg to 12-13 mpg!!!!10,000 miles on the truck and the dealer is stumped. I have 235/85 winter tires on and I run 285/75 in the summer.Any ideas?

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
outlander;1574626; said:
My fuel mileage is dropping big time,empty from 16-18 mpg to 12-13 mpg!!!!10,000 miles on the truck and the dealer is stumped. I have 235/85 winter tires on and I run 285/75 in the summer.Any ideas?

Difference in tread pattern? How much idle time? When I went from 245s to 265s I lost 3 mpg. It is even more now that cold weather has finally arrived. I have so much salt on my truck that I am sure it has taken away from the aerodynamics. Don't want to wash your truck when it is -20 F outside.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts