Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to go back to Indiana to pick up that 12,000 lb. fiver I took down two weeks ago.Traded the 02 GMC D/A on a new 07 Classic LBZ.She will have 600 miles tallied up when I hook on to fiver for the return trip.I will only be running 62 mph thru Illinois,should I put the Allison in fifth to keep the RPMs up or leave it in drive and let the Allison do its thing?I am thinking sixth gear is just too much lugging for a fresh engine at 62 mph.By the way,the fiver had to hve the complete roof sheathing and rubber roof replaced,sheathing was buckling for some reason.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I would just put it in Drive & use Tow/Haul and let the transmission do what it knows best. The truck is designed to haul a heavy load. You won't hurt it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ditto RayMich. The Tow/Haul Mode will change your shift points so you won't lug the motor.

·
Registered
924 Posts
x 3 Tow Haul mode in Drive and let it rock,no problems

·
Registered
395 Posts
x4 for T/H mode. Many guys on here have towed just as heavy with less miles and no problems. Myself, 10,000# on 550 miles...No probs here.

Good luck and safe trip tp ya.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Mine cruises in 6th at around 63 mph and 1650 rpm. Won't down shift either, unless pulling a pretty good hill. But I'm only pulling a 14k 5er!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts