Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my lbz has severe engine knock,check engine light is on and wont go out,soon after starting truck i pulled out of drive way engine started to knock like crazy ishut it off immediately,truck has 4550 miles all highway, i have to wait till mon. to call dealer, gtta work a double shift on sun. ill keep every one posted on this as info becomes available please wish me luck im gonna need it.:(

·
Registered
565 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
our dealer went threw the same broken glow plug situation a few months back on the lbz, but this took out the piston head, head and latter on the turbo, so beaware and keep a eye on your compression, and boost, things like that would bug me till they were checked out completly

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
dieseldavesr,
Do you recall if your glow plug light stayed on longer than usual when you started it? It sure sounds like you burnt off a glow plug tip and it is wrecking the engine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
wtf? why are some lbzs doing this? never heard of it happening on the latter 2 models.
The way I heard it was that the LBZ has the "new, improved" glow plug, which doesn't need to stay on that long to warm everything up. Let's hear it for advanced technology...Carmine

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
glowplug light was on for only a second,i came home from work only 3 hours earlier,and my garage is well insulated,oil pres. was good too about 60 psi,i cant believe this,truck is just a commuter till spring then id start towing with it.all miles are easy ones.:(

·
Registered
565 Posts
For the sake of not knowing what your knock really sounded like, I would have your dealer tow it in. IF you lost a glow plug tip, it would be best not to run it until the tech can pull the code(s) from the ECM. If you drive it in, you risk the chance of running that tip through the turbo.

If this is the same thing as I had, the knock you heard was probably a fuel knock in one or more cylinders. It would make a huge racket like ball peen hammer bangin' on the block.

I sincerely hope its nothing serious but if that was the case, you shouldnt have had any knock at all. I wish you the best of luck!

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Any chance of gasoline in the fuel?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no ,no gasoline in with the fuel,and i wont be driving/starting this truck again,nearest chevy dealer is 60 miles from home,i live in the adirondacks/upstate NY,im gonna borrow a gasser from my inlaws to get back and forth to work,i want to take time and thank everyone for your support and in put, thank you back to work for my second shift ill chime in again @12:30AM.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Keep us posted on your findings.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you can count on it,i just hope this doesnt turn into what happened to the cummins back in the early 1990s the infamous "killer dowel pin"aka-KDP ,cummins did little to help the customer,we'll see if GM is any smarter.:(

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
towtruck on the way,dealership is gonna give me a cavalier as a loaner,more to come this is gonna be interesting,...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
still waiting for tow truck,removed personal items from truck i expect to be without my truck for min. two weeks,with an engine change who knows?does anyone know how they would get a new engine? do they call the ohio plant and ship from there or is there another source?hey, you should see the nice spray in bed liner i have on this truck,it looks great!just trying to keep my chin up and hope the dealer has good DMAX techs.stay tuned and wish me luck.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update,dealer called and said that they are willing to put me into another truck exact same options for $7200.00 WTF!why does the word LAWYER come to mind?over reacting?let me drop a few glow plugs in your $40k rig this BS!

·
Registered
484 Posts
they didnt mention what they thought was wrong with YOUR truck? :confused:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
they are afraid to speculate until they get it torn down, above post includes tax and interest on the loanover 100.00 more a month to trade.you can bet its not my kids M&Ms making it knock the way it does,sounds like a pipewrench trapped in the fan shroud.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
No kidding... if they would rather swap trucks, tell them that would would be happy to take another one... identical... WITH a spray-in bedliner... but you will NOT be giving them $7200 for it.

Get on the horn with GM immediately and get a factory rep involved.

·
Registered
565 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
No kidding... if they would rather swap trucks, tell them that would would be happy to take another one... identical... WITH a spray-in bedliner... but you will NOT be giving them $7200 for it.

Get on the horn with GM immediately and get a factory rep involved.
This is exactly what I would do!!!:( Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts