Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
O6 Silverado 2500HD FASS pump, studded, deleted, up pipe, down pipe, 5”
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still wet behind the ears with the diesel stuff. Bought this truck almost 2 years ago came with already done upgrades
Power max turbo (I assume v1) can’t verify
Up pipes (ppe)
Down pipe (ppe)
5” exhaust
Efi live
Arp studs
FASS lift pump.

first time same thing it got hot but I crested the hill and everything finally cooled off and like normal driving same trailer but different truck

2nd time
back in September of 2022 I was leaving a truck show in Laughlin Az (90-100* weather)
Pulling a flat deck double axle and a 69 c10 little over half way up the hill coming out of Laughlin my truck overheated. it’s not much weight I’d assume no more than 7k there’s a picture attached to show you my set up from that trip.
Am I doing something wrong?
I’m completely at a loss
The guy I bought it from (good buddy) towed all the time: vegas, california, Utah, Texas, Tennessee. Never had an issue.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

· Premium Member
315 Posts
You are not doing anything wrong and it shouldn't be doing that. Check the usual things like clogged stack, viscous fan coupling, T-stats, etc. But what is really suspicious is why the ARP studs! Head gasket problems or? Check with your friend. Maybe some of his untold trouble is re-visiting you.

· Administrator
22,222 Posts
I would also clean your cooling stack as mentioned above. One of the best things you can do to help your cooling system
(y)

· Registered
O6 Silverado 2500HD FASS pump, studded, deleted, up pipe, down pipe, 5”
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are not doing anything wrong and it shouldn't be doing that. Check the usual things like clogged stack, viscous fan coupling, T-stats, etc. But what is really suspicious is why the ARP studs! Head gasket problems or? Check with your friend. Maybe some of his untold trouble is re-visiting you.
so the head studs weren’t his doing. He bought this from a dealer upon digging thru paperwork in the glovebox we found a jasper pamphlet so we only assumed someone put a new Allison in it. We called Jasper up to find out the other owner bought a LBZ from them. Dropped in at 212k chassis now has 289k. There is some untold history here and I’m still trying to figure out.
like why change the engine?
why change the turbo?
did you change the injectors too?
did you keep the stock injectors?
did you just put headstuds on the engine because you can or as you mentioned, was there a head gasket issue?
so many questions and no one to talk to find out.

· Premium Member
315 Posts
Oh boy, 77K on a rebuilt motor! I’m not even going to go there as the quality of a rebuilt is so variable only a hands-on inspection can truly determine what you have . . . not a forum, but back to the overheating. You have checked all of the above and still have a problem? Are you loosing water or are the radiator hoses pressurized (stiff) in the morning? Any leaks? The T-stat (or water pump) are always suspected. What does your temp gage show? Does it react normally, rise or fall unexpectedly, were the original t-stats reused on the rebuilt motor! Etc.

You have EFI live and data logging ability, no? Can you log your EGTs or boost? If you don’t have T-stat or head gasket problems then logging data or EGTs may point to fueling issues. I don't want to even think about a wrongly timed cam on the rebuilt. Good luck.

Reactions: OkDually
1 - 8 of 8 Posts