Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can you tell the difference between the two, if your looking at them through pictures only? Is there a difference in the VIN that will tell you? I'm looking for a 06 LBZ becasue I heard the 06s don't have th traction control. I plan on installing a programmer as well so would it be worth finding a LBZ or would I see the same power/mileage/etc. out of a LLY. I noticed some of the mirrors are different as far as towing mirrors, is that a clue to a LBZ. Sorry if this is in the wrong section but this looked like the best place to find my answers.

Thanks in advance,
John

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
The 8th Digit of the VIN# will be a "D"..

If you can afford the extra cost of the LBZ, get it. Mirrors won't have anything to do with the motor..Mine came with half-ton mirrors..

Adding a programmer to either will make them feel strong. If i had it to do over again, i would buy the LBZ again...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
Look at the label on the air cleaner lid, LLY will have 310hp written on the label.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Check the glove box for the LBZ or LLY code!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
lbz has the blue emblem and others have the red emblem iirc

·
Registered
820 Posts
Yeah the LBZ's have both the Allison Tranny, and the Duramax written in the badges, on the LLY's they have just the Duramax emblem, I ain't sure if this is right but its what I have noticed...

·
Registered
702 Posts
And just remember, the 06 LLY and the LBZ are exactly the same engine with different tuning. So if you get a good deal on an 06 LLY, then go for it. The 04.5-05 LLY engines were the ones that were very different. And about the traction control....my 05 doesn't have it, not quite sure what you are talking about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello
I have an lbz and a bully dog programer, but i have only used it to re-calibrate for tire size. Will it get better milage if you put in the tow/economy program ?

thanks

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Hello
I have an lbz and a bully dog programer, but i have only used it to re-calibrate for tire size. Will it get better milage if you put in the tow/economy program ?

thanks
I've found that Performance does better for MPG's. If you drive sensible, you'll see some better economy. But, If you run it hard, you'll not see any improvements..

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
usually when you install more power....you want more and more and more and then you need new tires lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts