Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the first oil chang on my LBZ '07 Classic today. Mileage is only 3500, but I wanted to change to synthetic. Even before I dumped the original oil, I noticed oil seepage along the bottom edge of the block where it mates to the bell housing. There's a little weep slot there. There was enough oil to be liquid visable, not just sort of oil moist, spread out for 5" along the bottom edge. Is this normal? My 8.1 stayed dry as a bone, but this is my first diesel. BTW, the oil that I dumped was black as ink. The oil filter took a gorilla tool to remove. And my best experience and tricks didn't succeed in making the oil filter removal a clean job on that horizontal mounted SOB.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I would clean it all off so its perfectly clean and then keep a eye on it, if it gets wet again and wants to drip, take it in to get it diagnosed.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Mine is clean as a baby's ass.

·
Registered
623 Posts
kgt;2055568; said:
I would clean it all off so its perfectly clean and then keep a eye on it, if it gets wet again and wants to drip, take it in to get it diagnosed.

I agree. Keep an eye on it. Take it to dealer if it continues. Mine is dry at 10,000 miles. Everyone, just about has the same complaint about the filters being hard to remove the first time.
Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Supercop8100;2055660; said:
Mine is clean as a baby's ass.
That could be either very clean or absolutely gross. Which is it?

·
Registered
307 Posts
haha :D look around there are a few posts on this including one from myself; I don't know what's up with the LBZ's, but I have a feeling something was over looked during engine assembly from GM’s supplier. There are way too many reports of oil leaks on our engines.

·
Registered
683 Posts
enahs;2055505; said:
Did the first oil chang on my LBZ '07 Classic today. Mileage is only 3500, but I wanted to change to synthetic. Even before I dumped the original oil, I noticed oil seepage along the bottom edge of the block where it mates to the bell housing. There's a little weep slot there. There was enough oil to be liquid visable, not just sort of oil moist, spread out for 5" along the bottom edge. Is this normal? My 8.1 stayed dry as a bone, but this is my first diesel. BTW, the oil that I dumped was black as ink. The oil filter took a gorilla tool to remove. And my best experience and tricks didn't succeed in making the oil filter removal a clean job on that horizontal mounted SOB.
Same here. Very minimal and I don't want them pulling anything to fix it..yet.

·
Registered
572 Posts
It may be blowing up from the skid shield, when you change the oil. I just switched to the fumoto valve. I had left a few drips of oil in the skid shield from prior changes. I also had it on passender side bottom where the bolt goes through bell housing. Cleaned it up and checked bolts around oil pan. Bolts on oil pan were all pretty loose so I creaked then 1/4 turn and so far so good, no more oil.

·
Registered
683 Posts
It may be blowing up from the skid shield, when you change the oil. I just switched to the fumoto valve. I had left a few drips of oil in the skid shield from prior changes. I also had it on passender side bottom where the bolt goes through bell housing. Cleaned it up and checked bolts around oil pan. Bolts on oil pan were all pretty loose so I creaked then 1/4 turn and so far so good, no more oil.

mine was wet at the first oil change.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The seepage was there BEFORE I began to change the oil for the first time — only 3500 miles on it (changed to 5W-40 Mobil 1 Delvac full synthetic).

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I got one of the last LBZ's made, no problems to date.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Synthetic will leak more than conventional oil for sure especially mobile one (if they even make it for diesels). That stuff is amazing......

Be careful though. I would hate to have a dealer explain how syntetic oil is the *reason* why it's leaking. You never know with these stealers.

BTW, mine is very clean. I am still running delo 400 though.

·
Registered
265 Posts

I have 53000 on mine now, and i just noticed a little oil sweat on the bell housing also. I think it is just some type of blow by or comming down from above.Not enough to worry about, no drip between oil changes and no loss of oil. My oil is ink black soon as i change the oil and start it up, just the nature of the beast.

Still the best truck i have owned, and i have had all of the big 3. The worst was the 6.0 POS !!! I tow 14000 lbs 5 days a week, and this truck has yet to give me any problems. And i am not easy on my trucks, the only thing my truck has been back to the stealer for is a egr fan motor and an egr sensor, and a fuel rail sensor, and none of these issues stranded me or left me on the side of the road. I love this truck:D:D P.S. Dont waste your money on fancy oil, put the best proven oil out there in your truck Shell Rotella T 10/40 tractor supply sells it in a 2.5 gal jug dump the whole thing in and your done, spin on a napa gold filter, simple and top shelf for less. I ran semi's with this oil for hundreds of thousands of miles..

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
ive had a drip from mine since new-it has 40k on it now drip is still the same
it at the pass side corner of bellhousing-i think its from the turbo oil pipe not being sealed and running down the block-i havent fixed it yet as i dont want any dealer messin with it unless it really turns into a leak

·
Premium Member
Slightly Modified 2006 CCSB LBZ w/ 596,975Km's
3,782 Posts
At 60,000 miles...no issues with dripping yet. On the ink black oil issue..not surprising for a diesel. You guys may want to consider an oil bypass. I find I can run longer with this secondary system and my oil stays cleaner much longer. Now I change out at 8k to 10k miles. After changing both the FS cartridge and the OEM filter, the oil tends to stay fairly clean for at least 1500 miles.

I was definitely impressed with that the first time out. Well worth it in my opinion...cost in over priced Cdn dollars was about $ 600. at the time and I installed most of it my self.

My philosophy is:

Keep the oil as clean as possible - Oil bypass to 2 Mu, regular changes & dino oil in my case.
Keep the fuel as clean as possible - Secondary Fuel filtration to at least 5Mu
Keep the intake air as clean as possible - EGR Block/Fingerstick and using an OEM air filter (although I don't for cost reasons.)

I believe these measures will add significant longetivity to my engine. I'm not a Diesel Mechanic by any stretch but it just seemed those things were self evident to me.

rgds,

Stk

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
It's not a powerstroke, leakage is a problem and is not normal......as said above, keep an eye on it, and fix it as soon as it even thinks about becoming a problem.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
i didnt think about this until reading this thread but the last two times i change my oil it was as low as 2 quarts one time and like 1.5 the other time...maybe i should check for leaks tommorow :( and i need to change my oil lol but yea...ill have to look at mine in the morning

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Mine was the rear main @ 13k, found a bad rear thrust bearing, not repairable, IE GM installed a new long lock in my truck at 15K. And man was it a PIA to do, the Mech is a bud and I got to watch the whole thing unfold, so far 12k on the new motor and no drips :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am convinced that all of the big 3, which i have had over the last 10 years all have some problems. Some worse than others, but toyota and nissan just dont make a big enough truck to pull the weight or carry it for that matter.

I know that i would give them a try if they made something worth a ****, hell toyota is now in NASCAR, i would have thought hell would freeze over first, so i guess thier is still a chance they will make a real truck soon enough. And dont tell me that there are not alot of us that would jump ship too if it happens..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts