Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are 2006 LBZ owners seeing as oil pressure? With about 100 miles on mine, I see 30 psi at hot idle and about 45 psi at 1600 rpm hot. Given the guage range of 0 to 120 psi and the comments in the owners manual that 80 psi is normal on a cold start, are my values a little low. The local weather has been warm, with 50's at night, so a real low temp start reading is not possible right now. Thanks

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
1600 is still what I'd call low RPM, so that's part of the issue I'm sure. 30 psi idling sounds great to me...

What oil are you using?...15-40W understandably shows more pressure for me usually.

·
Registered
369 Posts
What are 2006 LBZ owners seeing as oil pressure? With about 100 miles on mine, I see 30 psi at hot idle and about 45 psi at 1600 rpm hot. Given the guage range of 0 to 120 psi and the comments in the owners manual that 80 psi is normal on a cold start, are my values a little low. The local weather has been warm, with 50's at night, so a real low temp start reading is not possible right now. Thanks
got 700mi on mine 06 LBZ CREW DUALLY get 30psi idle, 60psi cruzing (1300-1600 rpm) and 90 psi start up on a 20-30 deg day just did an oil change and psi stayed the same.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine still has the factory oil as it has about a 100 miles on it. Just picked it up from the dealer last Friday. Last night the temperature dropped to 45 degrees and I got to do a cold start on it. Oil pressure went up to 75 psi at the initial start and was still 65-70 psi after 5 minutes when I shut her down. Sound right?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Pete, My pressures are the same. Also much lower than my 02.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have an 06 LBZ and I have tried OEM oil, 15w-40w Rottela T, and now im using Mobil 1 Syn. I have not seen much differances in the three oils as far as pressure.

Home 30 in the morning 55 in the afternoon. Around 30 psi.
Work 50 in the morning 70 in the afternoon. Around 30 psi.
Southern California first of the month with 5th wheel in tow. daytime temp around 80. Around 30 psi.

I have also had concerns and founr that the dealers I have spoken with all say 30 psi is good. My 02 was much higher than that and I supose I will wait and see.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
what a bear and hd90rider said

·
Registered
339 Posts
Our new truck, aka; "The Silver Fox", is our first GM product in over 2 decades so I was concerned at the oil pressure variations I saw when we first picked her up. Previously, our PS Ford oil pressure seemed pretty steady so tht's what I was accustomed to seeing. I asked my GM diesel mechanic about the much more "variable" oil pressure readings in "The Silver Fox" compared to our previousFord and he told me it was completely notmal. He also told me GM gauges, comparedto Ford, are more "real time" sensitive than Ford. Meaning the GM gauges give a more accurate constant reading where as the Ford gauges tend to give more of an "average" reading thus minimizing gauge needle response. This sound right? From talking to other LBZ owners and reading other postings, my oil presure gauge is accurate.It's just not what I'm accustomed to seeing.

Truck on!!!:cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
guages

I've been told the Ferd's are nothing but fancified idiot lights- look like a guage, but function like an idiot light.:Insane:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I once had a company van, it was a '95 Econoline van. I never could understand why the oil pressure always ran the same, hot or cold, idling or full speed. I think it must have had the idiot gauge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It did, to reduce nuisance trips to the dealer in the mid 90's ford went with an idiot gauge. The gauge reads normal when you have more then 7psi.

mark

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Normal pressure at idle warmed up is about 25-30 psi from what most have reported, on a really hot day and after working the motor a little lower pressure might be expected.

Normal pressure at 2,000 rpm's and up when warmed up is about 55-65 psi from what most people have reported.

DD

·
Registered
210 Posts
I really like that we have real oil pressure guages, and real trans temp guages. The coolant temp looks real, but I'm betting that it stays at one line under 210 unless it gets real warm, that's what my 04 chevy gasser did. But so far the coolant temp has a hard time making it up to one line under 210.:)

·
Registered
294 Posts
The Ford gauges are more like indacators. i know one guy who hooked a gauge up. He said the truck varied alot on pressure and the factory needle never moved.
Smoke 'em if ya can :D

·
Registered
897 Posts
I don't understand why put a gauge that goes to 120 if your only going to need 60? I too was concerned seeing my oil pressure only using 1/4 of the gauge but I guess after reading here its the same as everyone else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The oil pressure gauge caught my eye when I picked up my LBZ.I called the Stealer the next day and asked them about 25psi at idle.They said it was normal.It goes to around 70psi when it cold.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Gauge range

I don't understand why put a gauge that goes to 120 if your only going to need 60? I too was concerned seeing my oil pressure only using 1/4 of the gauge but I guess after reading here its the same as everyone else.
Most instruments(automotive or otherwise)are designed to display normal indications at midscale range for more accurate readings.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
minimum hot oil press on an LLY is 14 psi at idle...

you're fine ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts