Diesel Place banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Before I get started with my post and people start questioning my knowledge. I know and understand the duramax motor and the up keep it takes to keep these trucks running in top order. Between my dad and I we have owned 6 duramaxs over the last several years. I traded my 03 LB7 in may to avoid the very common injector issues and bought and 07 classic. Early this week my truck developed a terrible miss on my way home from work. And when i look in my mirror there was a large about of while smoke coming from my truck. :eek: I have seen this from two of our LB7 we previously owned and new right away what had happen but didn't want to believe it. I called the dealer and dropped my truck off the following morning. Recived the phone call from the dealer today. Number 5 and number 8 injectors bad at 17,000. Anyone else having any of the same problem or heard of anyone? I treat every tank with treatment and the truck has had 3 fuel filter changes since I have bought it. Anything can or should have done different to avoid this again?
Hello
What Kind of fuel treatment???? What kind of Fuel filter??? We ALL know Water is the worst thing we can do to our LBZ Injectors. I am not pointing fingers or looking to Flame or looking for a fight. However it was asked

"anything can or should have been different to avoid this in the future"

I am a firm believer in preventive maintenance. I am a Diesel Engineer aboard ships. I have 2 Diesel trucks, AND I live in Alaska I drive these trucks thru the Remote Yukon Canada in the winter. I cannot risk being stranded. I have learned as Much as possible as to how to make my trucks last as long as I can with out having them leave me on the side of the road. OUR LBZ injectors have no tolerance for water or foreign objects in them. The key to Injector long life is lubricity and Very clean fuel! All fuel filters are not created equal the Cheap automotive Store fuel filters are less than desirable. I would humbly suggest that one would research the Absolute Micron rating of the LBZ injector. and I would further suggest one research the absolute rating of fuel filters. I have Done the research and I will offer what I have found Filter----The Parker Racor PFF50216 filters better the Micron rating of our LBZ Injectors these are true Filter/water separator filters that spin on to the stock housing. I change this filter every 3000 miles or every oil change on my Duramax. This filter costs about 35 dollars. I like this Filter so much that I Purchased a stock Duramax filter housing and this filter and installed it after my Lift pump on my 99 Dodge CTD I am at 150000 miles on stock injectors on that truck and it is bombed!! ....I use Howes lubricity additive/anti Gel in both trucks and in all my rental properties that use oil heat. I am extremely pleased with the results of these products. The DuraMax has 75000 miles has a 125 hp tune a 5 inch EXH and a K&N Filter housing using a 100000 mile Amsoil replacement air filter. and both trucks are used for towing in extreme weather from Alaska To FLA and all points in between. I have had only 1 Breakdown between both trucks the breakdown being the injection Pump on the 99 CTD after 144000 of hard use and towing.

The Question was Asked and I offered my opinion and what has worked well with me.

I am sorry your truck broke Good luck with your repairs.

please feel to pm me for more info.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado 2500 HD 6.6 Duramax LTZ
710 Posts
Don't mean to hijack this, but had to say Hi to Chris, how have you been? Had a great trip to Alaska, sorry we missed you, maybe next time...., Ken

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Ken
Good to hear from you! Yeah I am sorry it did not work out either. Been very busy between the ships and Moving and Family. I need a break.. ARRRGGHH.

Take care down there in CA.

Chris

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.