Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took all of 20 minutes to change out the stock fuel filter. Would've been done 5 minutes soon if I hadn't dropped the battery hold-down bolt in the engine compartment. Fumble-fingers, ya' know?? Finally found in on top of the skid plate.

The truck has 10,000 trouble-free miles on it. The old filter wasn't at all bad. Used a hack saw to split the skin and then a pliers to rip part of it open. It was dark but from what I could see the pleats didn't have much junk on them.

Thanks to this forum for threads with info on everything Duramax!! You're the best!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just curious why you needed to pull the battery hold down bolt? I got mine out with just the removal of the air intake hose and didn't even need to bend the air conditioning tube out of the way. I did use a step stool, but I was doing it outdoors at 5F and 30mph winds :D I only spilled a tiny bit out of the filter.

·
Registered
159 Posts
AKDoug;1599380; said:
Just curious why you needed to pull the battery hold down bolt? I got mine out with just the removal of the air intake hose and didn't even need to bend the air conditioning tube out of the way. I did use a step stool, but I was doing it outdoors at 5F and 30mph winds :D I only spilled a tiny bit out of the filter.
i agree, you do not need to remove the battery, changed mine this a.m,i just removed the intake hose and slipped it through- do it slow and you won't spill a drop, i had my wife hold the coffe can to put the old one in, the part i hate is re-threading new one on-always seems like i am gonna cross thread the stupid plastic thing

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AKDoug;1599380; said:
Just curious why you needed to pull the battery hold down bolt?
My strap filter wrench doesn't have the bendable handle. To get it to bite and have room to turn it while on the filter, I took out the aux. battery. (Note to self: get new filter wrench).

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
taviking22;1599874; said:
My strap filter wrench doesn't have the bendable handle. To get it to bite and have room to turn it while on the filter, I took out the aux. battery. (Note to self: get new filter wrench).
Eric at Merchant Automotive has the right strap wrench to use. Also, I don't remove any batteries, lines or anything to remove mine. Maybe that is the only thing I am lucky at...

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
ZL-1;1599894; said:
Eric at Merchant Automotive has the right strap wrench to use. Also, I don't remove any batteries, lines or anything to remove mine. Maybe that is the only thing I am lucky at...
I'm with you on that one. I don't remove/disconnect anything when I change my filter, and I got my filter wrench from Eric. I also bought a WIF sensor wrench from him. Makes removing an reinstalling the WIF sensor soooo much easier.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Get a strap filter wrench that accepts 1/2" drive ratchets (I bought mine at Napa $6). With a 6" extension I don't have to move or disconnect anything. I have the whole process down to just a few minutes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions. My "strap" wrench actually has a metal strap. I ordered a new one from Auto Barn with the nylon strap that uses a 1/2" drive or 3/4" wrench. Should be all set for the next fuel filter change without having to removed anything.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Heck, I even have a hard time getting in there to remove the WIF connector. Guess performing heart surgery will never be in my future. I do have a NAPA strap wrench and that does make turning the filter much easier.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I have to either remove the battery or go through the fender liner to get the filter out of mine.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
BudTX;1607718; said:
I have to either remove the battery or go through the fender liner to get the filter out of mine.
Same here.
I tried to do pull it up past the AC line once and dropped the damn thing in the garage. Still stinks like fuel in there. Lesson learned- saving 5 minutes by not pulling the inner fender out isn't worth it no matter what anyone says.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I dont pull liner or batrery on mine but could be put in a better place.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just changed my filter today for the first time. Didn't have to pull the battery or the fender liner. There was very little room for my hands to get around the filter but it was doable. The center rubber gasket on the old filter stuck to the short center post. Took a few minutes to get the old gasket off. Easy job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts