Diesel Place banner

LBZ Expires after 6 km

8K views 50 replies 31 participants last post by  Leadfoot 
#1 ·
I was at the local GMC dealer about an hour ago, and i helped a guy i used to work with pull a LBZ out of a truck. It melted the injector tips in 4 or 5 cylinders; major damage - melted metal all over the tops of the pistons! The truck had 6 km! not 600 or 6000 - 6! it was cool got to see inner workings of a duramax!

#2 ·
Let's see. 6 km is around 3.75 miles. 5280 ft per mile makes that 19800 ft. A pulling track is 300 ft. So, that comes to exactly 66 full pulls. That's about a season, isn't it?:ro)

#3 ·
#4 ·
Injector tips or glow plugs?

#5 ·
:rolleyes: IT WAS GLOW PLUGS - I'M LOSING IT

#6 ·
Skater,

Many of the Diesel Place posters are already aware that there have been other new posters to the Diesel Place who have popped in and claimed to have seen or they were experiencing LBZ disasters.

You have been on this sight for about five days and now you have already seen a melted down LBZ and it was shown to you by a guy you used to work with ...........:confused:.

#7 ·
Yeah Redeagle,

I used to work at the local GM dealer when i was 20. I was in there today and was chattin with one of the techs in the garage - as he was lifting the motor out of the truck. What is so hard to believe about that? What is ur problem?

#8 ·
What caused this to happen? Can you get us some pic's?

Truck on!!!:cool:

#9 ·
Anyone else reading this thread will have to excuse redeagle. For some reason he thinks i was hackin on LBZ's. when my lease is up in 11,000 km i too will be replacing my truck with another truck that will have an LBZ. just beacuse a faulty one comes from the factory does not mean that all LBZ are garbage. Who cares if i have been here 5 days or 5 min or 5 years. i saw one and told u guys. thats all. relax and quit bein a hater.:rant:

#11 ·
I don't agree that anyone or everyone else will have to excuse me. Longer term posters on this forum have seen too many " 1. the low # of posts - 2. short term forum member - 3. big terrible problem" posters.

The issue that you speak to with the melting injectors, that you amended to melted glow plugs was a very early production run LBZ issue. I guess one of the early build trucks may have sat on a lot for a long time.

How about giving us the name of the GMC dealer and the VIN # to back up your post info? We can then see if it was an early build unit. I want to believe you, but the 3 items cited in the first paragraph are why I am expressing doubt.

#12 ·
WTF!?! why would i make this up?

#14 ·
alright guys keep it on topic or this thread will be closed...

This post has been deleted
#16 ·
No, any man made mechanical assembly can fail.

But there are some tall tales they are getting spread on the internet, some that fail when put under scrutiny.

I, as an employee of the company that is having its reputation sullied by what appear to be unsubstantiated internet rumors, have to respond and ask for details and point out what appear to be suspect reports of problems. On some of the occasions where an owner was having problems, I have offered my assistance to help resolve the situation. Some people responded and help was given, some people did not respond, despite repeated offers, and those are the folks I would put in the suspect category.

This does not apply to the original poster in this thread, I have already posted those concerns.

#21 ·
Yep, Buyers Remorse, that has to be it...... Even with all the trouble I had with Dodge it was never bad enough to cause me to waste my time goat bashing. I think he wants a Chevy.:lol:

#22 · (Edited)
For All U Non Believers

AS PROMISED HERE ARE THE PICS - Please let me say again THIS IS NOT AN LBZ BASH - but here are the pics of the unsubstantiated internet rumors that sullied reputations all over this WIDE WORLD OF DIESELS! I don't care about reputations or LLY or LBZ or whatever - just don't call me a liar. Just to clarify that black piece of metal lying on the head is Glow Plug Tip that was squashed flat by the piston, u can see the marks in the combustiion chamber. Enjoy and Thanks Again

Attachments

#23 ·
AS PROMISED HERE ARE THE PICS - Please let me say again THIS IS NOT AN LBZ BASH - but here are the pics of the unsubstantiated internet rumors that sullied reputations all over this WIDE WORLD OF DIESELS! I don't care about reputations or LLY or LBZ or whatever - just don't call me a liar. Just to clarify that black piece of metal lying on the head is Glow Plug Tip that was squashed flat by the piston, u can see the marks in the combustiion chamber. Enjoy and Thanks Again
Skater -

Thanks for the pics (the pics are great, but not what they show!:lol: )

It is nice to know though, that the General in standing behind there product and correcting it in future trucks...

#24 ·
Thx. I also wanna say that this problem is probably very isolated. The tech said he is not put off these engines just because of this. There is lots of them out there workin hard every day. oh, the General had to stand behind this one cause its still his; has not been sold yet!

#25 ·
Thanks for the effort

As ugly as it is to see that happen to a new engine, it's obviously not a wide spread problem. I still wonder if it was a bad build or defective parts. Mike Z

#26 ·
Could that be caused by the glow plug controller keeping the plugs powered for way longer than they should have been? I can't see any other way it could have happened, especially to multiple cylinders.

#29 ·
don't worry kimo

that person knows who he is

#30 ·
that makes the second or third time here latley the resident know it all's have jumped on a new poster, that later proved their post true, maby next time they wont jump the gun so soon.:exactly:

#36 ·
I second that. Seems kinda ****ty that someone comes here to help or let us all know something and then everyone jumps down their throat and makes them take pictures, post their VIN, etc to prove their story.

I know its the internet and there is a lot of B.S. floating around, but give em a break sometimes... :D

#32 ·
Thanks for the pics skater they are much appreciated

Sometimes people on this site like to 'accuse' people of being liars and when they are shown up somehow are no where to be seen:stirthepo . Anyways hopefully this is just an isolated case but but as stated before mechanical failures can and will happen from time to time

#34 ·
yup iv seen it

yeah i have seen the same problem. i was the guy wating to deliver the new truck and the customer was coming from out of town and i was watching them fish the peices out. and they did and it has run flawless to date.i sure do love the new engine though.i have also delivered about 90 of these and only had the one with the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.