Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this has been addressed in advance I apologize; haven't been on the forum in quite a while. "The Silver Fox" has 15K on her. Since the day we took delivery, at idle she has a ticking/tapping noise coming form the front of the engine and it's getting louder. It's not lifter's tapping. Dealer told me they all (LBZ) do it but gave no explaination. WHAT IS THAT CONFOUNDED TAPPING NOISE AND HOW TO I STOP IT?????:mad:

Truck on!!!:cool:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I was told that it is "Normal" also. Mine has been louder and quieter at times.

·
Registered
255 Posts
GM's explanation....

"Models:
2001-2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2003-2007 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series
2006-2007 Chevrolet Express
2001-2007 GMC Sierra
2003-2007 GMC TopKick C4500/C5500 Series
2006-2007 GMC Savana
with 6.6L Duramax™ Diesel Engine (VINs D, 1, 2, 6 -- RPOs LBZ, LB7, LLY, LMM)
Some of the above vehicles may exhibit a random ticking noise that is most audible on an engine with a coolant temperature of 70°C (158°F) or higher and from idle to approximately 1500 RPM. The noise usually is most noticeable at the rear of the driver's side front wheel well. Customers may also comment about hearing a tick noise inside the vehicle at idle such as when sitting at a drive through window. All 6600 Duramax™ diesel engines have this condition; however, some are more audible than others. Engine build variation from engine to engine contributes to differences in perceived volume. All Duramax™ engines are manufactured to very close tolerances to meet the durability and reliability standards.

This noise is caused by the relationship of the engine cylinder block, crankshaft journals, bearing inserts and the oil film. This relationship may allow a vibration that resonates through the cylinder block and is heard as a metallic ticking noise. The noise could be described as an irregular ticking or clacking sound, like random typing on a mechanical typewriter.

This condition has been present in diesel engines produced for the last 20 or more years. The overall noise reduction in engines produced today makes this noise seem new when, in fact, it was masked by other noises in the past. Many manufacturers such as Isuzu, Hino, Mitsubishi, and Nissan report a similar condition in their diesel engines. Testing and engine teardowns with this condition reveal no condition that would affect reliability or durability of this engine."

·
Registered
924 Posts
i think they all tick mine does it to .I guess its normal from what im told.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mine ticks too,Its a diesel.....Lets you know its still alive. Im not to worried about it...

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
Laugh all you want but I added Marvel Mystery Oil this last fill up and it has quieted the ticking considerably. Just a thought......;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mine Too.....I thought it was normal!!!!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies ya'll. Guess it's ticking normal. But, I don't like it!!! No sir. Not one bit. But guess I'll learn to live with it. Just don't seem right. Beautiful peice of machinery like the LBZ having a "tickinig" noise. Nope!!! Just don't seem right.

Truck on!!!:cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
i didnt notice mine till the first oil change and it gets louder when you rev the motor

·
Registered
321 Posts
bruins499;1588714; said:
GM's explanation....

"Models:
2001-2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2003-2007 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series
2006-2007 Chevrolet Express
2001-2007 GMC Sierra
2003-2007 GMC TopKick C4500/C5500 Series
2006-2007 GMC Savana
with 6.6L Duramax™ Diesel Engine (VINs D, 1, 2, 6 -- RPOs LBZ, LB7, LLY, LMM)
Some of the above vehicles may exhibit a random ticking noise that is most audible on an engine with a coolant temperature of 70°C (158°F) or higher and from idle to approximately 1500 RPM. The noise usually is most noticeable at the rear of the driver's side front wheel well. Customers may also comment about hearing a tick noise inside the vehicle at idle such as when sitting at a drive through window. All 6600 Duramax™ diesel engines have this condition; however, some are more audible than others. Engine build variation from engine to engine contributes to differences in perceived volume. All Duramax™ engines are manufactured to very close tolerances to meet the durability and reliability standards.

This noise is caused by the relationship of the engine cylinder block, crankshaft journals, bearing inserts and the oil film. This relationship may allow a vibration that resonates through the cylinder block and is heard as a metallic ticking noise. The noise could be described as an irregular ticking or clacking sound, like random typing on a mechanical typewriter.

This condition has been present in diesel engines produced for the last 20 or more years. The overall noise reduction in engines produced today makes this noise seem new when, in fact, it was masked by other noises in the past. Many manufacturers such as Isuzu, Hino, Mitsubishi, and Nissan report a similar condition in their diesel engines. Testing and engine teardowns with this condition reveal no condition that would affect reliability or durability of this engine."
:exactly: Mine does the same, do a search on the "typewriter syndrome" and you will find more info.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm a new LBZ owner as well and had a ticking noise at the front of the motor. Coming from a mechanical background my first assumption was the idler pully. After a long hassle with the dealer telling me that it wasn't the ticking had gotten to the point of sounding like a bag of marbles in the washing machine. So I drove back and parked outside the service managers door. (turned out to be the pully) After that it was replaced twice more for the bearing failing... Knock on wood 3rd time was a charm and now I just have the nice tick of a normal diesel idle.

Hope this helps you

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I hera a tick but guess dont worry about it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
mine types faster then I do!!!!:D

·
Registered
278 Posts
but why after oil and fuel filter change???? i just changed both filters on my buddys 06 lly and now it ticks. my 06 lbz does not. and i changed both filters with the same brand name on both. i dont understand this.:mad:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Has anyone noticed that this topic usually comes up just when the air temps start to climb.Mine started back up at the end of winter here in the desert in January.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
220k and mine has ticked, tapped and made some noises at times. I say don't worry too much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts