Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So as luck would have it...
(ha... luck, i could win the prize for Murphey's Law:rolleyes: )
... my father and i went away to Thetford Mines, QC in Canada this weekend. Had no problems going up there, averaging between 80-90mph.

I guess Sunday was "dooms day" because nothing went right. My sled had WAY to much compression and the engine wouldn't even pull over. Then it had zero compression. So after lugging it onto the trailer we headed home. The truck started to stall a few times and set a Low Fuel Rail Pressure DTC each time. One of which was accompanied by a Turbo Variable Vaine Performance DTC. That was the one that did me in because not 2 minutes later the intercooler pipe burst off :eek: . It was the upper boot on the driver's side. After 5 or so minutes i was lucky enough to find the hose clamp barely clinging to my EGT sensor. I wasn't sure exactly how far the pipe needed to go into the boot or if the steel ring had anything to do with the pipe. I figured it out and I got it back on after about a half hour of trying to find a tool that would work among the sled tools. Got me home... but not sure its working right, barely hit 20psi the whole way home at 80+ mph (which of course earned me a nice ticket in VT :mad: ) There wasn't too much oil in the boot at all... very little but there was some.

Never saw the VTT error before and never heard about the intercooler piping blowing apart at relatively stock power. Running Edge and had it on level 2 the whole time.

-- Rick

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
What boost do you see when you are maintaining a constant speed of 80??? i am assuming you were refering to 20psi on the way to 80 correct?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Im not helping you with anything else on your truck until you unplug that edge in order to help diagnose the problem!!! :D ):h

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
If you were running normal psi's then the boot blew off and now you dont have normal psi's you still have a leak somewhere.

I only see about 20-25psi on level 2 anyway.

Speaking of oil, I tapped my boost line last night and I had oil after my intercooler???????? whats up there? Im not worried at all, it NEVER uses any oil.

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DURAtotheMAX;1587768; said:
Im not helping you with anything else on your truck until you unplug that edge in order to help diagnose the problem!!! :D ):h
HAHA... yeah i know Ben i know :rolleyes:
(if you answered your phone you could have told me that in person ;) )

I haven't switched over to the EFIlive yet because i don't have the spare $$ for gauges. As soon as i do, the Edge is gone!!

-- Rick

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
Rick,

I though you pulled the trigger on EFI. I wanted to see some of your results & feeling on EFI.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Don't know about your truck but I would say you need a 4-stroke Yammi sled!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Coolbreeze;1588469; said:
Don't know about your truck but I would say you need a 4-stroke Yammi sled!
I got one of those and it ran perfect in Quebec this past week.

However the Canadian curse bit me in the ***. My truck was the victim of the extreme cold. Wouldnt start the first morning and the batterys went dead after the first miss fire. This all could have been avoided had I plugged the truck in overnight!!!! So now I own a second battery charger that will stay with the truck from now on. I also had purchased a ThermoCube for this trip and I must say it performed quite well, after I pluged it in.:duh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts