Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would really like to do a 4inch exhaust for obviouse reasons. Because of warranty and a fear of throwing codes ect... Here is an idea..

The 04.5 and up Cummins has a full 4in exhaust with Cat. What if you put a 4inch kit, but slap in a Cat off the Ram?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I am sure you could make it fit, but the hangers would be placed on the exhaust system to work with a Dodge. They may or may not line up or even be close to your GMC.

You could go with the MBRP S6004AL - 4" Aluminized or the S6004409 - 4" 409 Stainless systems that are labled as Offroad systems. They come with everything from the downpipe back, but offer no place for the cat. But you could make up something there to fit your cat into. Might be easier to go that route rather than the Dodge way.

Just an idea! Good Luck!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya, that is what I was thinking was to adapt the 4inch Cat into say a MBRP system.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Two things come to mind....
A) The cat internals, even on the 4", may be more restrictive than the 3" front pipe.
B) Enough backpressure reduction to make it worth the cost and effort may still throw EGR codes.

IIRC, a couple of guys towing heavy with either straight-pipe catbacks or MBRP's have thrown codes, meaning that the system is going to be pretty sensitive to reductions in backpressure.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
roan65,

The cat only causes you approx 15% performance/EGT difference as compared to a 4 inch cat less system. Get the MBRP LBZ system and the front pipe and then bolt in back in when you need to. The Dodge cat is larger in diameter, but the density of the comb is slightly tighter so my guess is the overall is about the same flow wise.

Mark @ DPPI

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.