Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Transfer Case Leak!

All,

Every so often, at random times, the transfer case will start to leak some fluid. Sometimes it will be a decent amount, other times, it will be like you see here (very minimal.) It could go days/weeks without happening as well. Need some ideas on what it can be. I'm thinking either the gasket is going bad or the gear housing needs to be replace. The truck has 216k miles and the trans has been flushed and refilled every 50k-75k miles.

Thanks,

Danger

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
Have you looked up toward the top of the case to see if you have "pump rub" ?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

·
Administrator
15,705 Posts
Moved to Drivetrain 2001-2010....

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Pump......rub

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Yes, check fluid level ASAP, if it is a hole from pump rub (well, actually, it doesn't matter), if the TC is empty, continuing to drive the truck around results in a significantly more expensive fix, as you have to replace more bits and it can quickly wind up being cheaper just to replace the TC, but if you notice it in time, it just costs you maybe $50 or so for the pressed metal plate, gasket to the transmission, sealant for the case, and maybe some jb weld for the hole in the case (or you can splurge and replace the case half).

Getting the TC in and out of the truck can be done by yourself with a transmission jack, if you are careful and reasonably strong, otherwise you really want two people as it has to be twisted and turned around the torsion bar crossmember.

You might also consider looking at the input and output shaft seals to see if they look like needing to be replaced. There's also a bushing in the rear case housing (that the rear output shaft yoke rides in) that you may want to replace while it's apart.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I, too, expect it's pump rub.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I found a replacement TC rear half on ebay. The tricky part is removing the snap ring. After the first one I bought the pliers.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Yeah, if it's magnesium like the original one, definitely also put in at least the pressed-metal pump rub plate. It's cheap and will prevent the hole from being rubbed in the new one.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Yes, it appeared to be better than the original one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts