Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy bought an 01 tonight that didnt run from an auction. It spins over like crazy. Acts like it doesnt have any compression while spinning. I havent had a chance to look at it yet but was wondering if they have a timing chain or gears. It has about 125,000 miles on it. I'll probally do a copression check on it first. This is the first I heard of internal problem so far.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
All of the Duramax 6.6L are gear drive type.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
:exactly:

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
gears

·
Registered
308 Posts
Are the drive gears located on the front of the engine or on the rear behind the flex plate like on the power jokes? Sorry newb stuff!:lol:

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Up front under the crank/cam cover.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts

Are the drive gears located on the front of the engine or on the rear behind the flex plate like on the power jokes? Sorry newb stuff!:lol:
Hey,

You have fo to be FCensoredN' kidding me!! And where do they put the alternator? Let me guess, they run it off the rear end, right off the pinion gear??:joke: :lol:

PowerJoke is right to say the least!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ooook, Thanks for the comments. I been a diesel mech for 17 years along with building race engines. Built my share of 6.9/7.3 engines. Never been in a Duramax and was just wondering. It is an Isuzu and I wouldnt have been suprised if they put a frigg'n timing belt on them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A buddy bought an 01 tonight that didnt run from an auction. It spins over like crazy. Acts like it doesnt have any compression while spinning. I havent had a chance to look at it yet but was wondering if they have a timing chain or gears. It has about 125,000 miles on it. I'll probally do a copression check on it first. This is the first I heard of internal problem so far.
Well dont waste your time with the compression test we know whats wrong with it give Eric at MA a call he can set you up with the repair 616-399-7169

·
Registered
16 Posts
Give Eric a call and he will be more than happy to disguse this with you in a none public form

·
Registered
774 Posts
Geardoc,

Please let us know what you find out. I see no problem discussing this on a public forum. Must be something to do with bent rods or broken block.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I take it this is a common thing?
Yes and No, its quite typical with every motor I have torn apart, just some have more issues or better worded, are further to the point of failing. I have pics and all of the issue, but putting it on the forum right now in public is not in my interest. Pick up the phone and I'll tell you all about it.

SS396, same for you, pick up the phone and I'll tell you all about too. As for bent rods and broken block, yes, but not a result of weak rods or weak block.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts