Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for anyone that may have some pictures or diagrams of the LB7 open PCV system... I have an LLY and would like to mimic the LB7 setup, but I can't find anyone with an LB7 to look over...

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one has any pictures or diagrams of the PCV system? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Wardster... that's got some good pictures, but its a modded LLY system... that may actually be close to what the LB7 ends up looking like, but I'm hoping someone with an LB7 either has some service diagrams or pictures... I'd really like to see how GM had the LB7 venting...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone?

·
Premium Member
20,558 Posts
good idea....Id like to do this too...wheres Max Payne?? :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As of now it's just dumping down the frame rail... no oily residue yet... but, it does look awfully "vapory" after it's warmed up... I'd like to use a catch can, with a breather on top... that way, its filtered, but the filter won't become clogged...

Just curious what GM found to be acceptable on the LB7 for venting... I imagine crankcase gas evacuation, without regard to emmissions, hasn't changed much between the two...

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I'm working on it...

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Need pics from a LB7 engine compartment? I have a LB7. Still dont know exactlly what you guys are talking about though.:think:

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I am trying to post pics from SI but the copy/paste isnt working... That was the only way I could do it before...

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I normally could get that up for you, but I just got back from a 5-day trip Monday evening with a bronchitis/sinus bug and I haven't fired up my main computer - just been checking email and forums from my laptop and turning in early. I might get it scanned tonight, but no promises - definitely no later than Friday.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help, guys... All this work just trying to pose as an LB7 :)

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Here's the pix - number 1 shows the whole PCV system. #2 is the separator canister and #3 is the oil drain return nipple on the side of the block just above the oil pan. Basically, both valve cover vent hoses are teed together and go to the separator canister, it vents straight down just inside the passenger fender liner and oil separated in the canister is gravity returned to the block.

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
EXACTLY what I was looking for... thanks a lot! That's very similar to what I have set up now on my LLY, except I won't be plubming the drain back into the block... I'll just empty the canister at each oil change...

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Sorry for the dumb question

Do all LB7's have a PCV? I remember replacing the PCV valve on my gas vehicles but didn't know there was one on my truck. Is there? If so, how often does the valve need to be replaces.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Do the newer Duramax (LLY/LBZ) have a plugged fitting or port where the oil drain return nipple was on the side of the block on the LB7s?

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Do all LB7's have a PCV? I remember replacing the PCV valve on my gas vehicles but didn't know there was one on my truck. Is there? If so, how often does the valve need to be replaces.

Thanks.
I recall the replaceable PCV valves on gassers, Dan. But I haven't seen or heard about one for a long time now. I think most every "modern" PCV system is "lifetime" at least the one on the DMax, and requires no service unless it gets damaged somehow. The PCV valves on the valvecovers are pretty substantial units built into the covers and look to just be check valves.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I recall the replaceable PCV valves on gassers, Dan. But I haven't seen or heard about one for a long time now. I think most every "modern" PCV system is "lifetime" at least the one on the DMax, and requires no service unless it gets damaged somehow. The PCV valves on the valvecovers are pretty substantial units built into the covers and look to just be check valves.
Thanks, I appreciate the frequent opportunities to learn on this forum! :eek::

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
By the way, the reason I originally went after this information was to verify some of my design on an pcv canister system... it's in the works of possibly becoming a product for sale, if there is enough interest... again, this isn't a cheap ad, as it's not for sale yet... but you can check it out here:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72089

1 - 19 of 19 Posts