Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://youtu.be/b0Fwj0KFnGU

https://youtu.be/PBe93mbi8OE

Anyone ever have a LB7 act like this? I'm running out of money and things to replace...

2002 Duramax LB7:

New TPS
New Fuel filter
Lift pump
New High pressure fuel pump
New GM injectors
New fuel Lines
Head gaskets and ARP studs
New ECM all flashed back to stock
Transmission full rebuild

Running Scan tools, I see over 20,000 PSI from the fuel pump and builds boost fast up to 25lb.
It can barely start on a grade if I add a trailer, it wont move unless shifted into 4 low.

·
Administrator
21,845 Posts
Any codes?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did talk to another friend suggested a few things to try so may do them tomorrow just to rule more stuff out.

1. Open fuel line closest to cp3 run lift pump see if good volume.
2. Unhook MAF see what truck does on grade.
3. Unhook boost sensor run truck on grade.

I guess all worth a try. I'm also worried even though trans was rebuilt by a reputable shop i may have a bad torq converter???

·
Administrator
21,845 Posts
I did talk to another friend suggested a few things to try so may do them tomorrow just to rule more stuff out.

1. Open fuel line closest to cp3 run lift pump see if good volume.
2. Unhook MAF see what truck does on grade.
3. Unhook boost sensor run truck on grade.

I guess all worth a try. I'm also worried even though trans was rebuilt by a reputable shop i may have a bad torq converter???
Are you using stock air intake or aftermarket?

·
Administrator
21,845 Posts

·
Administrator
21,845 Posts
Yes k&n wet type.
The K & N wet filters can play havoc on a Diesel engine.
The filter oil wrecks the MAF sensor and connector.
The wet Filter becomes too restrictive and causes performance issues.

Use a dry paper filter only

Reactions: rickbat

·
Premium Member
2007 Klassic CCSB 2500HD. Six-gun w/speedloader, iDash, and EFILive.
1,431 Posts
That's NUTS! Thanks for the good videos. Mr. Alex Hozy had similar issues on an LBZ, and we THINK it's down to the cam key being bent. However, his was not capable of making power, ever.

So this leads me to believe you have a failing sensor that is preventing proper power production. Say that 4 times fast...

IMHO, it's not the torque convertor. Zero TPS response wouldn't behave like that. It would either shudder, kick, or rev like it had no load. I don't hear that in your vids.

What software are you logging with? I'd like to try and figure out what the truck thinks your charge-air density is, so we'd need reference to IAT, MAP, Baro and MAF. In fact, first thing I'd check is what the MAF is reading at idle, and whether it's seeing higher flow when it does decide to accelerate. I think you should be seeing around 40g/s at idle if the EGR isn't open. See LBZ: - MAF Sensor for a decent description.

You should also be able to test Baro against MAP (key on, engine off) and see that they are reporting the same value for air pressure.

Also, the fuel rail pressure you're seeing, do you know if that's desired or actual?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well this truck is truly in the Christmas giving spirt! While troubleshooting yesterday with a friends snap on scanner the water pump bearing went out on the brand new pump... So now I have to tear that all back down see what's going on with the water pump.

But things we did note before the pump let go.

We could see the solenoid D in the trans going on and the truck just fell on its face. We also noted a few passes up my steep drive the it felt like second gear pull out then only did 2 times slammed down hard into 1st and took off.

Talking to Eric at Sparten autoworx and Brent at Lincoln diesel and my local Trans shop that did a full rebuild. I think we may be have a bad wire to trans or a a failed TCM. Talking to Eric at Spartan autoworx he said TCM on the 5 speed Alison almost never fail. So that's where I'm stuck at once again...

As far as scanners i have been using HP Tuners which can collect all those PIDS and save as an HPL file.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So Im going to be looking for a good wiring pinout diagram for the TCM. As well as any good wiring tests i can run.

·
Administrator
21,845 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
--I replaced the TCM $400
--Tested continuity in the solenoids. "ohms"

I have nothing left to chase except my transmission shop. I'm thinking it has to be the stall converter its way to tight. It never lets the motor spool to start pulling. Also when you go from drive to park it bangs into to park like the converter is engaged.

I cant think of anything else top chase at this point. Waiting on my trans shop to get it in first of the new year...

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
That is strange, the bang/pop. Sounds like either a bad TC or one with the stall way way too low.

I like the stuck in 2nd idea. When you get it going, does it go through all 4 shifts, or just 3?

Sorry, Trannies aren't my thing...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What happens when you buy a water pump from RockAuto that is not an original AC Delco pump... Also calling RockAuto i discovered now they have no phone customer service. Think its time to stop purchasing from them... Bearings went out and gear locked and fell off... Could have cost me the entire motor. Instead it cost me 2 gallon of antifreeze and 4 hours doing the job again...
Crankset Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle part

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Holy mother Mary.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And I'm arguing with RockAuto via email now. I will never order from them again. They want to warranty this POS and send me another. I don't want another jump pump and i would never sell or give the replacement to anyone. This could have been way worse.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Right as if the whole batch isn't shite. What brand was that?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cc: Rick @gmail.com>
I have a defective water pump that I purchased from rock auto. The pump was finally installed in the truck this past week since this was a large job i was doing head gaskets injectors and had to have machine work done also. That is the reason this pump was ordered in June at the beginning of my project.
So after the pump was installed this past week we started the truck and the pump was making a grinding noise. Had to tear down the whole front of the engine to replace it with a genuine AC Delco pump which I also ordered from Rock Auto. The failed pump ended up having the gear fall off and sending parts into my motor. I could have lost the whole engine because of this. Also, the re-work to install the new pump was a 4hour losing 3 gallons of antifreeze. Needless To say, I'm not very happy.
I ordered the new pump thinking I could call Rock Auto and get squared away. Only to find out RockAuto does not have any customer service anymore on the phone. Thinking that is a very bad decision. I would rather pay more for good customer service.
So here I am writing a long email and waiting for a response...
Simply, I would like a return label sent and a full refund on the original part. That is the least RockAuto can do considering the work and almost losing of my engine this part could have caused.
Sincerely,
Longtime customers "which may be changing"
Rick
xxx-xxx-xxxx cell

Dear Rick,

We're sorry for the problem with your order. Like other retailers of branded products, RockAuto honors the warranty provided by the manufacturer of the product. This manufacturer’s warranty offers a replacement of the same brand and part number, but does not offer cash refunds/store credits, exchanges for different products, or the reimbursement of labor costs, shipping costs or other expenses.

You are not obligated to take advantage of the warranty, but if you would like to request a replacement, please obtain instructions by going to our Order Status and Returns page. For more information, please see: How do I exchange the bad part I received for a new one?
If you have further questions about manufacturer warranties, please see our Warranties page.
Thank you,
Ashley
RockAuto Customer Service
RockAuto HELP http://www.rockauto.com
[Quoted text hidden]

Rick @gmail.com> Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 10:50 AM
To: RockAuto Customer Service <[email protected]>
I will be posting the poor customer service on the web and sharing my experience. I will also open a case with the BBB.
I do not need another part. I already paid for a new GM pump. Look at my orders.
This pump failed as a brand new installed part. RockAuto not standing up for customers is BS and you will be losing a lot of folks in the car world. I am a member of many groups and sites and will be sharing this response.
Now I'm out the money and all the time for this part. I don't want another junk pump sent to me. What will I do with it???
Thanks for the poor customer service and Merry Christmas.........
Thanks, Rick
[Quoted text hidden]

RockAuto Customer Service <[email protected]>
To: Rick @gmail.com>
Dear Rick,
Both our warranties page (RockAuto Product Lines and Warranties) and the warranty policy explain, warranty is for a replacement part only. When ordering from a retailer, its up to you to be aware of their policies, including warra
If you would like to continue with the warranty, you can use the order status & returns page to complete the claim.
[Quoted text hidden]

Rick rick
@gmail.com> Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 11:14 AM

To: RockAuto Customer Service <[email protected]>

Sometimes you need to listen to your customers and not hide behind policy and do the right thing. We are talking about a $40 part that will cost you customer loss. I get it you are big enough to not care but it will keep adding up i promise. You have lots of competitors that have way better customer service and I know that first hand.
I will file my complaint with BBB and share my experience with others.
[Quoted text hidden]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts