Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 silverado 2500hd Dmax extended cab long bed
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02' 2500 HD 6.6 I bought at an auction drove it 200 miles ran Perfectly no smoke then just shut off while driving. I have good low side fuel pressure. Fuel rail pressure varies between 5500-8800 psi cranking. Is this maybe to high? ...Fuel pressure with key on engine off is 200-220psi ...No codes... starts easily on ether while glow system was disabled... I disconnected a Injector plug and put a Noid Light on it to check for pulse, and it Pulses One time along with starting for a couple milliseconds. scanner shows it going over 800rpm for that split second it's running perfectly then nothing, back to crank no start until you disconnect then reconnect the Noid Light to the same or any other Injector and it will again pulse once and starts for split second. Also noticed that with ECM 1 Relay and fuse removed the Fuel Rail Pressure does not default to maximum it stays at 6-7 thousand psi during cranking. During cranking actual FRP is usually higher than desired FRP?
No Trouble codes are stored. A sceenshot of scanner during cranking is my avatar.. thanks

·
Administrator
22,032 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
The Duramax fuel system needs 4k-6k pressure to start and idle. Your reading should be in the ballpark for starting and running.
Do not use ether to start your engine. Lots of bad things can happen.

Go through all fuses and inspect your engine harness for any rub-through wire insulation, rodent damage, corrosion, loose/bent connector pins, broken wire, etc.
The Duramax wire harness is known for issues

·
Registered
2002 silverado 2500hd Dmax extended cab long bed
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem solved. I replaced some ground wires and cleaned the others on the engine block. There are three ground wires bolted onto the passenger side and two ground wires bolted onto the driver's side lower engine block. I also reterminated the positive 10 gauge wire at the jump starting/12v terminal on top of engine. Not sure which one of these fixed it. But really just needed to clean up corrosion and or cut back the wires some and put on new terminals.

·
Administrator
22,032 Posts
Problem solved. I replaced some ground wires and cleaned the others on the engine block. There are three ground wires bolted onto the passenger side and two ground wires bolted onto the driver's side lower engine block. I also reterminated the positive 10 gauge wire at the jump starting/12v terminal on top of engine. Not sure which one of these fixed it. But really just needed to clean up corrosion and or cut back the wires some and put on new terminals.
Glad you found the issue.
Thanks for giving us an update!
(y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been looking but can’t find the ground points on the driver side you are talking about

1 - 6 of 6 Posts