Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So whats the best way to launch? (on the street)I usually just punch it on green. If I spool it up, I usually just spin. I'm too nervous to launch in 4wd on 4,5,6 on edge. every body I race usually gets me out of the hole, but I eventually catch up and pass. I tried racing a punk in a awd audi, not sure which one, but he launched hard, and I didn't have time to catch him, because I spun hard. Any techniques?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
use 4wd launch about 1000 and roll from there and you will be good.

it is the intial shock that kills the hard stuff

·
Registered
762 Posts
First off street racing is illegal. :) I had to say it. Ive been to 165mph on the streets. Do a boosted launch in 4 Hi with T/H on. Dont be at WOT on the 5/6 shift your tranny wont like it. Watch it off the line as it may want to pull to one side or the other.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I put edge on 6, and launch in 4wd, is that hard on drivetrain? Will it blow up? So then after the launch, do you switch to 2wd, or leave it in 4wd?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bolyard, I see you have an edge also. when your cruzin around in 1,2,3, and all of a sudden its time for a little race and you want to switch to level 5 or 6, does your tranny need to relearn that power? Is it just better to leave it where it was, rather than switching to a higher level?

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've only ever put the edge all the way up once. It was pretty cool, tires smoking and black smock rolling but the manual said not to run on the higher setting without a trans so I turned it back down. It should be ok to just turn it up for the quick race just remember to let off at the 5/6 shift point for a second. After the race when you let off you can kick it back into 2wd, mines easy its push button no lever to mess with. I'm in the process of building my trans right now. I may try the edge out again but it will be coming out because I have EFI Live with McRats race tune.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
RJWesleyIII;1572817; said:
If I put edge on 6, and launch in 4wd, is that hard on drivetrain? Will it blow up? So then after the launch, do you switch to 2wd, or leave it in 4wd?
I have launched in 4wd in level 6 30 or so times without issue. I can tell you that with the torsion bars cranked, you will get pull to the left, due to the centerlink twisting up under hard acceleration. It is best that you lower the t-bars all the way down if you are going to launch in 4wd.

You should also add to you list if you do this very often, a set of Cognito braces(helps the center link from twisting) and some tie rod sleeves or Fabtech tie rods(keeps them from bending or breaking, stock ones are the size of a good pen:eek: ).

There is a very good possibility that you can limp the tranny running in levels 4/5/6, so tranny upgrades are recommended. At a minimum, triple disk torque converter and Transgo Jr to run that kind of power continually.

As far as launching in 4wd, you leave it there until the end of the run. Many have done this hundreds of times and not had a problem with the t-case.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
what are the dollar figures to modify the trans? and the cognito braces? so when the tranny slips, the edge will defuel right? (I have slip protection on) if it defuels, does it hurt the tranny that much still? do you mean by limp mode, the edge defueling? And if it does slip, will it throw a code?

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
RJWesleyIII;1572848; said:
what are the dollar figures to modify the trans? and the cognito braces? so when the tranny slips, the edge will defuel right? (I have slip protection on) if it defuels, does it hurt the tranny that much still? do you mean by limp mode, the edge defueling?
PM Mike L. or Eric Merchant for cost on upgrades, they will be able to give you exact prices. As far as the Cognito braces, they are around $200 and you can find them at a few vendors on this site. If the Edge has built in slip protection, but it only see's what is happening at the face of the converter, not the clutches inside the tranny. By limp mode, I mean you will be stuck in 4th gear caused by the weak 4 to 5 upshift or 5 to 4 down shift (no reverse or other forward gear), get a MIL on the dash, RANGE SHIFT INHIBITED on the DIC, and probably get a P0700 code on the Edge, which is a generic transmission code that is normally found after limping the trans. To clear the MIL, you can use the Edge, then cycle the key and you will get all the forward and reverse gears back. The good part about an Ally is, after you limp it, you can turn down the power and probably get tens of thousands on miles out of it. Try that with a 48RE (Dodge)or a 5R110 (Ford).

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the info. I'm new to the diesel world, and I don't want to start breakin stuff yet, she only has 15,000 miles on her.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I know one way not to launch 2WD! I did that 2days ago not thinking just trying to beat a dodge from a red light he had a new hemi and he beat me or so he says. too bad my wheels were spinning until I let out of it at 60mph. funnything is even with my wheels spinning like crazy I still kept up with him

note to self always race in 4wd

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
carcrafter22;1573338; said:
I know one way not to launch 2WD! I did that 2days ago not thinking just trying to beat a dodge from a red light he had a new hemi and he beat me or so he says. too bad my wheels were spinning until I let out of it at 60mph. funnything is even with my wheels spinning like crazy I still kept up with him

note to self always race in 4wd
Been there done that! the thing that really sucks, is you know you could smoke a hemi like he was rolling backwards. But you know he's a home telling his buddies that the hemi is so fast, I can beat the diesels with big exhausts and chips! Until the rematch!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, I tried the 4wd launch today in level 3, and I was very impressed. Do you ever catch yourself just driving around looking for a race? Well after that launch, I did, but I found nobody. I know it will happen. My favorite races are imports, and cars that come fast from factory(mustangs, audi's, some bmws) or people who think there cars are fast. OK, so what is the difference launching in 4wd with t/h on or off? Does that mean the torque convertor locks up faster?

·
Registered
830 Posts
i usually go about 5 to 6 pounds of boost per my gauge in 4hi, that works great. love beating up on friends mustangs!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I personally don't spool. I just put the juice in three hit 4 hi and punch it. Mind you I also always have the Xcelerator on 1 or 2.. and man does she scoot. Even with 305s I can light em up. I personally have only done a few really really hard launches.. and amazingly with never any bad side effects. I had the xcelerator on 1 and my hot j/a on 5(150) 4hi. Needless to say.. it hits 60 in a few very hard pounding heart beats. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks RJ for starting this thread, I had the same the questions and tire spin.Does anybody know how much hp you can run through the stock centerlink?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TimF818;1583329; said:
Thanks RJ for starting this thread, I had the same the questions and tire spin.Does anybody know how much hp you can run through the stock centerlink?

No Problem, It works great. used it on a new f150 today, and I think I surprised him greatly, as he wanted nothing to do with me the second time:boxing: !

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have one problem I have 4.63 gears in the rear and 4.56 in the front now some experts are telling me that is fine and thats what you should do. The dealer would not install the same ratio they said because they do not make a oem 4.56 for the rear and there is a .1 varience in the transfer case which i dont beleive. I guess i will learn the hard way if she blows we'll fix her. has anyone ran this combo on tar at high speeds???

·
Registered
663 Posts
I bought my truck about a month ago. Have raced or should I say smoked a stang or 2 rolling but yet to do a red light. When the time comes it looks like 4HI is the vote here. Now what difference does it make with the T/H mode? If this is just torque converter lock up then i will stick with just using the co-pilot. Also with my set up what PSI would you suggest on street for a boosted launch? The previous owner ran about 12PSI boosted launches at the track with dropped T-BARS and T- Pressure.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.