Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:ro) ive noticed a lot of guys launch in 4wd i assume for traction ... do you then shift back to 2wd.. will this effect anyhting at full power?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
You can't shift back into 2WD with a load on the drivetrain. Everyone just makes the full pass in 4hi. I just click mine out when I'm coasting after the run. Try not to turn on pavement while in 4 wheel drive.

It won't hurt anything in the drivetrain. Your tie-rods are another story if you don't have sleeves. Lower your torsion bars too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man just gettin into it .. a boosted launch the way to go? how tough is it to lower torsion bars?

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Buy some tie rod sleeves for sure. I made the mistake of not getting them, when I bent mine. Well worth it.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
lowering the tbars is as easy as u climbing underneath with I think a 17 mm socket and loosening them

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
so that means every time you leave the dragstrip (after raising the bars back up) you have to have the truck aligned?

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
I have 6 turns on my t-bars, tie rod sleeves, never lowered my t-bars and ive never had a problem.

Even with a reallly hot tune and the BD turbo it seems fine.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
so that means every time you leave the dragstrip (after raising the bars back up) you have to have the truck aligned?
I've had mine up and down so many times I can't remember. I've never had to realign. Tire wear and steering is perfect.

You do want to get the truck as low as possible for strength reasons. Also the higher the truck the more tire hop which breaks stuff.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I've had mine up and down so many times I can't remember. I've never had to realign. Tire wear and steering is perfect.

You do want to get the truck as low as possible for strength reasons. Also the higher the truck the more tire hop which breaks stuff.
Rob, how many turns do you do to lower them? Mine is stock not lifted, also what boost do you launch at for best results?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Just count the turns it takes to get the bolts out. Then when you put them back in, use the same amount of turns.

Its also not a bad idea to mark the bolts with a hack-saw to give you an idea of where they are supposed to go back.

Touch Racing said that he made up some spacers for his, so he doesn't have to count or mark anything. I thought it was a good idea, I might try myself.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Just count the turns it takes to get the bolts out. Then when you put them back in, use the same amount of turns.

Its also not a bad idea to mark the bolts with a hack-saw to give you an idea of where they are supposed to go back.

Touch Racing said that he made up some spacers for his, so he doesn't have to count or mark anything. I thought it was a good idea, I might try myself.

You actually take the bolts all the way out or just loosen them?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
You could either take them all the way out or just loosen them until they aren't carrying a load then snug them back up so they can't fall out.

Taking the bolts completly out works best, IMO

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
You can loosen the bolts until torsion bars bottom out, or just remove them. I remove them for less of a chance of them working themselves out on the track. Fat chance that would ever happen, but truck does get pretty violent sometimes.

Take all the weight off the front end with a jack when loosening or tightening t-bolts. Also put some anti-sieze on the threads.

·
Registered
13 Posts
from what i have seen and heard, lower torsion bars makes it look silly but does a world of a difference for drag times.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
i don't think it makes them look silly. infact watching the NLDP truck at the line scares the hell outta me.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Before you do anything measure your front end hight on both sideds of the truck. Pick an easy to repeat spot. Bounce the front end a few times.

Jack the nose of the truck all the way up(till the front tires are off the ground) or use the torsion bar unloading tool. Mark the crossmember in the back were you see the end of the torsion bar. The torsion bar will have a line through the diameter of the end. Mark on your fram to that line so you can reindex it when you drop em. A marker, shoepolish(you should have some if your going to the track ;) ) a punch and a hammer if you want it permanent....i've even used a chicks makeup that I was "friendly with" when she went to the track with me and I forgot my marker(quit laughing.....and no she dosnt speak to me anymore :think: ):h ) Take the bolts out. Stick em some place were you wont lose em.

RACE :D

Now.....raise your truck or install the unloading tool. Clean your bolts threads and make sure they arnt covered in grit or sand. Now coat em and the tip in antisieze. Crank the bolts till your at your mark. Now drop your front end, bounce it a few times and measure your hights.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
i've even used a chicks makeup that I was "friendly with" when she went to the track with me and I forgot my marker
You have issue's, you wear womens underwear and you make you truck wear makeup!!! :eek: You need to get some help Phillis ):h ):h

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
A guy with purple parts on his truck is giving me crap for stealing a girls make up to makr something on my truck??? Next your going to give me crap about bakeing some parts in another chicks oven too I suppose......oddly enough she dont talk to me either ):h

I've never went out in public wearing any womens clothing let alone in full drag Wade;) But.....I didnt make the mistake of being the skinney enough guy to fit into that chicks bra and letting my buds keep a copy of the pics......

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I did make the mistake of being the skinney enough guy to fit into that chicks bra and letting my buds keep a copy of the pics......
):h ):h ):h I'm sure someday you'll live that down :D

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.