Diesel Place banner

Latest steering shaft fix?

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  NorCal 2500HD 
#1 ·
What is the latest intermediate steering shaft fix? Is there another redesigned shaft or is it the "grease" method. My '05 is starting to clunk just like my previous 2 trucks:mad:. How about the Borgeson shaft.

Thanks

#2 ·
I also had the steering clunk as many other members have on this site.They replaced the interminate shaft twice , didn't solve the problem .
Then they replaced the steering gearbox , that didn't work. The service manager was scratching his head so he called GM service tech for help. GM said the problem was the lower steering shaft bearing , they replaced it and the truck is fine after 4 trips to the dealer

#5 ·
Mike L had a redesigned steering shaft. Supposed to work much better.

#6 ·
Same problem as my 2000 Z71, and same fix. A little spray oil down the shaft from inside the cab. Maybe repeat once per year, but better for us lazy guys.

#7 ·
I replaced mine with the Borgsen w/damper after the dealer tried greasing and a new shaft with temporary results and about 20K later no clunk or vibration at all. good luck :)

#9 ·
last i heard gm has the steering shaft replacment on hold again and
just greasing it until they come out with another fix.

#10 ·
I had the redesigned shaft put in about 20k miles ago. Worked good for about 15k and now the problem is back. So I will live with it for now.

#11 ·
I think this is the same "clunk" my wifes Yukon has. Is there a zerk fitting on the shaft that *I* can grease?

#13 ·
oh by the way ive got a stock intermediate shaft with 33k on it, only rattles a little, if your interested you can have it.:)

#14 ·
kylant, I believe the shaft form Borgesen is $265.00 with damper, they suggest you get the damper. I saw the set up last October at the Offroad expo, it looks stout. I will be putting it in after 100,000 or 1 1/2 more years. Until then, every time I see the dealer I complain. I have had 1 shaft replaced, 2 lube jobs and about 3 "could not duplicate problem", of course they can't, the roads around the dealership have brand new asphalt on it, you could sip a Martini in my truck on those roads they're so smooth. Problem is still there on rougher roads, go figure, they are just trying to put it off because there is no real fix. A Chevy dealer I think in Arizona, Scoggin Dickey bought 60 units from Borgesen and started replacing shafts of upset customers. Too bad, that's a little too far for me. Hope it helps.

LA DMAX

#15 ·
I figured I would just buy the Borgeson. I have had 3 Silverado's all with the shaft problem. My 2000 had 2 shafts replaced, my 2002 had 1 shaft replaced, one "lube" job I did myself, and 1 lower shaft/steering box bearing replaced. Now my '05 with 5000 miles is starting to clunk.

Just wanted to see if GM had another "new shaft," or a real fix before I bought the Borgeson.

Thanks

#16 ·
Just ordered my new shaft yesterday with the balancer......anyone have any install directions anywhere???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.