Diesel Place banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
#6 for me. Going in next week. Will only change the failed one, not all six. Says GM will only warranty failed part. Should I try another stealer?

Show the dealer the bulletin a couple of posts back about the replacement of all 8 and they should do it. I just went through the same thing with my dealer. Truck is there right now and I am getting a rental veh while it is in. Being covered under the 70k emissions warranty. No deduct

·
Registered
129 Posts
Show the dealer the bulletin a couple of posts back about the replacement of all 8 and they should do it. I just went through the same thing with my dealer. Truck is there right now and I am getting a rental veh while it is in. Being covered under the 70k emissions warranty. No deduct
For those who are getting it covered under emissions, are you in California? I was outside the 5/50k and when I read the manual, it seemed like all the longer ones were only applicable to CA or trucks with specific emissions options. The only warranty I could find applicable to my 2006 LBZ was the 5/100k engine warranty with $100 deductible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a LLY just otta warantee, number 4 tested at 4 ohms the dealer wants $700 to replace all 8. I'm sitting here right now and I'm gonna risk just changing 1. If I have to do all 8 I need to figure out how to do it myself, $150 in parts the labor charge is pushing $500 seems rediculous.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
For those who are getting it covered under emissions, are you in California? I was outside the 5/50k and when I read the manual, it seemed like all the longer ones were only applicable to CA or trucks with specific emissions options. The only warranty I could find applicable to my 2006 LBZ was the 5/100k engine warranty with $100 deductible.
Cali Emissions vehicles sold in states that recognize/require Cali emissions standards do have a longer emissions warranty. Don't think your state is part of that group. So the warranty coverage was right in your case with a deductable after 50k.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have a LLY just otta warantee, number 4 tested at 4 ohms the dealer wants $700 to replace all 8. I'm sitting here right now and I'm gonna risk just changing 1. If I have to do all 8 I need to figure out how to do it myself, $150 in parts the labor charge is pushing $500 seems rediculous.
rockauto.com has AC Delco glow plugs for 18.89 each

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm still here at the dealer they charge $130 for the 1 so I'll try that And if I get another failure I'll do it myself.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Yep, I am in California.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Does anyone know which way the glow plugs are numbered..the dealer told me that #7 was bad..which one is that and do you need a special wrench?

·
Registered
42 Posts
#7 is passenger side closest to the firewall. 1-3-5-7 Passenger side front to back and 2-4-6-8 Drivers side front to back.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I hit post too soon. I think you need an 8mm socket for the clamp and a 12 mm deep socket for the glow plug. I have not done mine yet (I have a bad #8) but everyone says to be careful if they are rusty and use some penetrating oil to loosen them up.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Thanks jpatrick....i will run out and do it now

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you are doing them yourself, shop around. I found the AC Delco brand ones for only $14.99 each at a local auto parts store and they had them from the warehouse to the store by the time I got off work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What if you have a tune, will the stealer deny the repair due to that? Looking more like I will be doing them myself.

·
Registered
349 Posts
i went this morining for p0674 and dealer told me i have a remote start and aftermarket alarm and they can't diagnose this. i told them my dealer is out of business and they installed both. any help or idea on how to disable alarm and remote start

·
Registered
307 Posts
P0673 came up on my truck today going to attempt to change it myself on thrusday night

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
just find module fuse and pull it

·
Registered
147 Posts
My glow plugs came out easy with 110k miles...... no problems with being rusted in or corroded..... 8mm on the nut and 12mm deep on the glow plug, they are a breeze, take the wheels off, inner fenders off and they are right in front of you, maybe take you 2 hours to do all 8

·
Premium Member
3,773 Posts
Geez...wonder why Im not having any issues to date..?? this is starting to sound epidemic in scope. And mine was a lease back from Shaw no less.! No warranty with this puppy. If I ever get the code, I'll be doing this myself. both wheels off and 2 hours..sounds good ram.!

Good thread with good info. and yes i agree, there should be a poll on this. I'll PM Randy and see what we can do to get that going.

Theo

UPDATE: request made-PM sent

·
Registered
307 Posts
So i replaced cylinder 3 's glow plug today but the light stayed on even after i replaced it . so i took it to autozone, the scanner still showed cylinder 3 as a code twice so they erased the dtc and it hasnt come back yet today . Do you guys think im good ?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts