Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 crew cab did not come with the LATCH child restraint anchors because it was built prior to 9/02 when the law mandating them went into effect.

Is there a GM retrofit kit available for the crew cab trucks, or does anyone know where I can find an aftermarket kit?

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
??? Mine was build in Apr 02 and has 'em. By Jul 02, they're bldg 03s only.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
If you haven't tried, I would ask your GM dealer about it. I would think they may have a retro fit and since it's a safety issue might offer it free of charge, if they make one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine has the top tether points only. I too would be interested in a kit if it was available.

John

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
I believe the Crew Cabs only have Tethers behind the rear seat against the Cab/Bed wall.

Ext. Cabs offer passenger front seat restraints because an airbag disable switch is available.

I do not think the lower seat restraints are available in a Crew Cab where the seat back meets the seat bottom.

Most of the tethers are used for font facing seats so the top of the seat does not roll forward in a crash.

T
NY

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GMC-2002-Dmax said:
I believe the Crew Cabs only have Tethers behind the rear seat against the Cab/Bed wall.

Ext. Cabs offer passenger front seat restraints because an airbag disable switch is available.

I do not think the lower seat restraints are available in a Crew Cab where the seat back meets the seat bottom.

Most of the tethers are used for font facing seats so the top of the seat does not roll forward in a crash.

T
NY

Tony,

I do have the tether strap anchors points and I do use them.

As of, I believe 09/02, all passenger vehicles sold in the U.S. are to have LATCH anchors. My truck was built prior to that date, so they were not mandated by the federal guideline.

I have not had a chance to check with the dealership yet to see if there is a retrofit kit available from GM or not. I thought that possibly someone else may have already had their truck anchor points updated and had a part number.

The advantages of the LATCH system are the ability to secure the carseat and still use the lap/shoulder belt as a restraint for the child in a booster seat. And to be able to better secure the carseat in place...The LATCH system allows a tighter, more secure connection to the seat than is possible with a lap/shoulder belt, whether the carseat is rear or forward facing.

As you've most likely heard before, more than 95% of all child safety seats are not installed correctly. Believe me, in my line of work I've seen the results of that statistic! I know when my kids are in their carseats their as safe as they can possibly be!

I stopped by one of the Florida Highway Patrol carseat safety checkpoints a few months back. There were 3 or 4 troopers doing the inspections. The trooper who checked my truck called the others over to see how my carseats were installed. They all commented that they were the most secure installations they had seen. My oldest daughter who just turned five, is just about to the point where she can no longer use the carseat's 5 point harness, so it will be booster seat time very shortly.

Thanks for everyones responses...I'll hit the dealership soon and let you guys know what, if anything, they have available.

Kevin

·
Registered
120 Posts
Has anyone found out whether there are LATCH parts/kits available for the 2002 Crew Cabs?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Just guessing here, but it appears that my crew cab's latch anchors are part of the seat, so... you could replace the rear seat with one from an '03 or newer?

BTW, in most instances LATCH is recommended to only 40 to 48 lbs children. My 3 year old is almost 40 lbs, and his seat recommends using the seat belts past 40 lbs. Others use 48 lbs as the cut off. Just something to consider if you have older children.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts