Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On order and should be here in the next day or so is the latest "gotta have" for the truck. 12K Hydraulic MileMarker winch!! Of course that means an new bumper is required, but I fancy myself as a "shade-tree fabricator" with lots of iron, time, space, and the tools to do the job. Plasma cutter, wire feed welder, 'gas-ax', and big hammers!

I think I want to model after the bumper that I have seen at http://www.kenmtnac.com/WiGMCHD.html ..... The winch box is big enough to fit the winch inside the frame rails and the bumper doesn't stick out too far in from of the grill (5"-6" is my hope). I talked to the guys at Kennesaw Mountain, but nobody knew how much clearance there was between the winch and the stack. That's my biggest concern. Does anybody have any mechanical drawings, pictures, or measurements of the inside of any after market winch bumpers? I don't mind doing all my own seat of the pants fabrication, but hints are always welcome! ):h

Wish me luck. I'll post some pictures as things develop (not PC caliber).

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I'd be sure to cut some round or oval holes in the front of the winch box, and the back if you actually totally box it. Then use some expanded metal mesh over the holes and it will look good and allow a lot of airflow. From looking at pictures of most winch bumpers I would say there should be plenty of room between the winch and everything, but you never know until you build it and check...

I plan to build a bumper one of these days too...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Just a little info from a GA boy.

Don't put ANY faith in anything from Kennesaw Mtn says. We've had some very bad experiences from fellow Tacoma owners having stuff made. A few have rcvd items that I could have fabbed better and I don't weld.

I don't think you were considering buying from them, but just a little info.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I wasnt considering buying from anyone. I have the urge to buid my own. going buy the theory "buid it hell for stout and functional" but I doo like the lines and looks of the Kennesaw units. Simple but not ugly. Thats why I was hoping for some pictures or drawings of the 'business side' of a after market bumper. Nar - extra holes are a good idea ( my thoughts too) for the cooling issues. How's the weather back home?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well I wasnt considering buying from anyone. I have the urge to buid my own. going buy the theory "buid it hell for stout and functional" but I doo like the lines and looks of the Kennesaw units. Simple but not ugly. Thats why I was hoping for some pictures or drawings of the 'business side' of a after market bumper. Nar - extra holes are a good idea ( my thoughts too) for the cooling issues. How's the weather back home?
Home, as in Georgia.

Pretty nice, been around 55 during the day and 30's at night. Had a good bit of rain lately though.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
_nar_, Thanks for the link. Those Buckstop bumpers are a good looking unit, a bit spendy, but good for ideas anyway. Why do they stick so far out in the front do you think? In comparison to the design of the Kennesaw units that seem to come forward a couple of inches. Hmmm

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Not sure, the buckstop looks like it is farther out than the stock bumper, while the kennesaw looks closer to the truck like stock. Maybe buckstop thought a winch needs more room? There are a couple guys on here that have buckstop bumpers, might ask them. The only one I saw in person was on a ford and it stuck out further than it looks like they do on the GM trucks...

·
Registered
159 Posts
use caution on building your own!!!! the funny story is, buddy of mine bought an 03 dodge and built his own front bumper, looked way cool, totally a sherman tank on his truck! the problem was, he built it so good the thing weighed as much as the sherman tank!!! long story short, he paid fabtech to custom design front-end to support his creation....all-in-all it was funny to watch this due to the fact that his project costed him over 5K to rebuild his truck!!!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have given that weight concern considerable consideration! The winch weighs in at roughly 100 lbs. Hope to build a new bumper and keep it in the 175-225 pounds. 1/4" winch box and 3/16" sides, with 1/8" top plates. Sure like the cover plates over the winch, looks clean keeps crap & corruption off the winch. This should be a fun project, but like most of my "all ya gotta do" projects, it'll probably bring me to the edge of my sanity at times! Those of you that have the snow plow option, does GM do anything special to the front suspension?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts