Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everybody.

Got a quick question. I am now running 285/70 17's on Hummer H2 wheels but am kind of curious what others who are running larger tires are doing for a spare. I looked under the rear of my truck to see if a larger tire would fit but not sure whether one would or not. Would it be ok to run my existing spare on the truck, from what I understand that is not a good idea especially with the G80 locker and just the additional wear and tear it puts on the differential by running with 2 different sized tires.

I guess I should have thought about this before I decided to put the larger tires on. One of the big problems is that if you happen to have a blow out with these 285's they are not all that common of a tire and could be hard to find.
I guess I could always mount a 285/75 16 on my spare and be able to run with that. Crowning would not be an issue because it would hardly ever get used.

Any oppinions?

Curtis

·
Registered
89 Posts
Curtis,

A 255/85R16 should be very close to the diameter of your 285/70R17 tires. The 255/85R16 will fit the stock rim, store in the stock location and not hang down as low as a 285 would. My 255/85R16 BFG Mud T/A measures right at 33" in diameter.

I am currently running 265/75R16 tires on stock rims. They fit very nicely and the spare one will just fit (even with a Mag-Hytec diff cover installed).

Joe

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe,

Thanks. I called the tire shop that put on my 285's and he did a look for a cheap 255/85R16 and they happened to have a discontinued Goodyear Wrangler AT D range tire in that size that they were selling for $35. What a steal as far as I am concerned since it is only a spare. Now I just hope it fits in the factory spot. Stopping by tomorrow to have it mounted up.

Thanks.

Curtis

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, my 255 fit just fine, I think the 285 would fit as well but it may be a tight fit.

Curtis

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've fit a 285/75R16 under the back just fine! I am however worried about my new 315/75R16's Anyone know if these will fit for the spare? Big tires I know, but I'm hopeful!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts