Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any of you replaced your fuel tank to a larger one? I think the 22 gal. is to small. How big did you go? Any pros/cons?

·
Registered
596 Posts
22 Gallon? I have an '04 Crew Cab w/ a 34 gallon tank stock. I thought all diesels were 34 gallon. I also "home made" a 65+ gallon tank to fit under my tool box in the bed of the truck . I've got about 100 gallons a shot that I'm good to go for, it only cost about $175 for the bed tank since I welded it up myself including the price of the transfer valve into my main tank. Merchant Automotive has 54 gallon tanks that will fit into a crew cab if you're looking to swap out the stock tank.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My '06 CCSB is 26 gallon which is annoyingly small. Titan has a larger tank, 45 gal I think, that is a direct replacement for the CCSB stocker and a larger one for the long bed. I'm sure there are other manufacturers that make replacement tanks.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I got a quote from a Tranfer-Flow dealer for their 45 gal oem replacement tank. Installed price is $1200.00. Now if I can just figure out how to hide that much money from the wife? :D

BoiseRob

·
Registered
39 Posts
any downside to swapping in one of these transfer flow tanks other then spending more money at fill up? do the gauges like fuel level and the range monitor in the dic function properly?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had the transfer flow 46 gal tank for about 8 months now. The only difference is that the DIC still calculates "distance to empty/miles left" based on a 26 gal tank.
Transfer flow told me I had 40 gals usable in the new tank so I just go by the guage and the DIC's "fuel used" numbers.
IMHO, the larger tank is well worth the $$$$.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,141 Posts
Love my Transfer Flow 45 gal replacement tank. Fuel guage is accurate, just slower, 'range' is now useless, 'fuel used' is all I look at. Well worth the money, I'd do it all over again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
BKL;1551718; said:
I've had the transfer flow 46 gal tank for about 8 months now. The only difference is that the DIC still calculates "distance to empty/miles left" based on a 26 gal tank.
Transfer flow told me I had 40 gals usable in the new tank so I just go by the guage and the DIC's "fuel used" numbers.
IMHO, the larger tank is well worth the $$$$.
Couldn't the Dealer reprogram the BCM so the DIC would reflect the new larger tank size? Doesn't the 1-ton have a larger tank? I would think the electronics would be the same and only the programing would be different.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
BoiseRob;1551541; said:
I got a quote from a Tranfer-Flow dealer for their 45 gal oem replacement tank. Installed price is $1200.00. Now if I can just figure out how to hide that much money from the wife? :D

BoiseRob
That is way too much for a Transfer Flow tank. I think retail they are 600 something, can't remember exactly what I paid for mine. They are a piece of cake to install. Get a buddy and do it yourself. Need a couple of floor jacks and a couple of jack stands. NO PROBLEMA In fact I'm in Boise right now swapping engine and transmissions in my crew cab. We took mine out today and I sold it for $300. Gave the guy a great deal because we are using his shop. :D

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
subman631;1553156; said:
That is way too much for a Transfer Flow tank. I think retail they are 600 something, can't remember exactly what I paid for mine. They are a piece of cake to install. Get a buddy and do it yourself. Need a couple of floor jacks and a couple of jack stands. NO PROBLEMA In fact I'm in Boise right now swapping engine and transmissions in my crew cab. We took mine out today and I sold it for $300. Gave the guy a great deal because we are using his shop. :D
transfer flow range from 757-1037 for the 45gal replacement tanks not including install the gas tanks are more $$$$ than the diesel

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
malibu795;1553171; said:
transfer flow range from 757-1037 for the 45gal replacement tanks not including install the gas tanks are more $$$$ than the diesel
Just looked up the prices and the retail on the one I got for my LB7 is now like $777.00 I know with shipping mine was less then $700. I did not pay full retail however. Prices have gone up. But save yourself a bunch of money and install it yourself.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
that was from the 06 winter 07 spring pricing guide that i have not including the installment fees

i aggree with sub DIY

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Just noticed something, says the LB7 tanks are different from the LLY's and LBZ's anyone know what the difference is? I was selling my LB7 tank to a guy with a LBZ but it appears it may not fit, what are the differences?:confused:

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
subman631;1553227; said:
Just noticed something, says the LB7 tanks are different from the LLY's and LBZ's anyone know what the difference is? I was selling my LB7 tank to a guy with a LBZ but it appears it may not fit, what are the differences?:confused:
i believe it is the pickup/sending unit that is different. since they sell 2 diff units

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
malibu795;1553240; said:
i believe it is the pickup/sending unit that is different. since they sell 2 diff units
We used the sending unit out of the old tank though so I don't think that is the difference. Will have to ck with the company on monday. It would have to be the weekend. Damn!!!

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Thanks for the insight Subman. The break down is $765/tank, $100/shipping and $315 for install. How long should it take to install the tank?

BoiseRob

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
BoiseRob;1553668; said:
Thanks for the insight Subman. The break down is $765/tank, $100/shipping and $315 for install. How long should it take to install the tank?

BoiseRob
With the help of a buddy 2 hours tops. Make sure the fuel tank is almost empty.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sixxgunscott;1553122; said:
Couldn't the Dealer reprogram the BCM so the DIC would reflect the new larger tank size? Doesn't the 1-ton have a larger tank? I would think the electronics would be the same and only the programing would be different.
This is a nice feature!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I replaced my stock tank in 2004 with a Titan 53 gallon tank. In the time that has passed they have improved it greatly so I ordered a replacement (not to mention the old one was installed horribly crimping the return fuel line and began to cut in on the brake line. It will be installed Tuesday and will let you know what the results are.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.