Diesel Place banner

Large tire advise

686 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  freyguy 
#1 ·
I am going to be buying tires here in the next week for my 06 duramax, i was wondering what would be the best 37inch tire that will not be totally worn after only 20k, and still have an offroad ability and good highway driving, with low wear. I was thinking of the Toyo opencountry MTs or maybe the mickey thompsons that are similar. Any words of advice would be very helpful thank you

#3 · (Edited)
37's are harder to fine starting to get to crazy size tires there...but the toyo's are suppose to be pretty good. I have Cooper Discoverer STT's on my jeep and their on road manners are comprable to BFGoodrich AT's however much better on rocks and mud, they only go up to 35's however.

What kind of "offroading" are you doing ? Rock crawling, mudding?

Most maximum traction tires however are not going to wear great, but you should definately get at least 20k out of them, I am on pace to get about 35-40k out of the coopers.

Also do you plan on regearing ? I definately would...

#4 ·
My truck is a Crew cab 2500 Shortbed LBZ Duramax, it is stock right now, but i am going to be getting the Cognito 7-9inch lift within the next 2 months, (cash flow is a little tight this time of year).

For off roading it will be mostly sand dunes and some wider trails.

I also used to have the 35inch BFG muds on my old gas silverado and got 70k with no problems. Just to small for what i want now.
I ran the Interco truxus tires 36inch x 13.50 on a 2001 dodge Cummins and hardly got 25k out of them.

#6 ·
MaynardDmaxLBZ;1601376; said:
My truck is a Crew cab 2500 Shortbed LBZ Duramax, it is stock right now, but i am going to be getting the Cognito 7-9inch lift within the next 2 months, (cash flow is a little tight this time of year).

For off roading it will be mostly sand dunes and some wider trails.

I also used to have the 35inch BFG muds on my old gas silverado and got 70k with no problems. Just to small for what i want now.
I ran the Interco truxus tires 36inch x 13.50 on a 2001 dodge Cummins and hardly got 25k out of them.

Yeah the trxus are pretty much a trail only tire.

I would look into baja claws or something of that sort for sand dunes.

#8 ·
I like my Toyo's right now and it looks like I might get about 40k out of them. My previous bfg mt's got 55k plus out of them, but they were only 285/75/16. I was planning on getting them instead of toyos, but they were on national backorder. The toyos were just as cheap and are a great looking tire. They do pretty well on the beaches around here, but I'm pretty easy on it when beach driving. No crazy sand dune stuff here. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.