Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the following on the NHTSA site. Do any of the techs on this board have any more information???

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
What is this? Is it a fix or just a report that the filler on our trucks suck?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
NoWake200 said:
What is this? Is it a fix or just a report that the filler on our trucks suck?

No kidding. I was at a pump the other day when a new Powerstroke pulled beside a high flow pump. I asked if it fit and he said yep. He couldn't believe that mine wouldn't allow the large nozzle and said it really fills fast on his.
I guess they have that goin' for them.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I stopped at Flying J and they were backed up 6 deep on the only "auto" diesel pump so I pulled over to the Big boys side, and sure enough they had a small nozzle.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Do commerical diesel trucks have the same "filtering" requirement as our trucks? This question is out of ignorance. I know that my local truck stop has an external filter on the auto lane that is not present on the big truck pumps. Perhaps it's just for looks. Can one "assume" that the truck lane fuel goes through the same filters as the auto lane diesel?

I've read elsewhere that the 04 filler will accomodate a big nozzle. Can we order those and replace older fillers?

·
Registered
249 Posts
The big nozzle fits in mine just fine but I can't run it about half throttle.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was hoping that one of the techs on this forum would see this post and give us official word on the fill neck. From the looks of it GM has issued (or will soon be issuing) a TSB.

-JP

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I ran the numbers listed and they dont look like typical format nor do they come up to anything. I know that the LLY guys ( i think anyways) can fill with big nozzles. But, they have an extra vent allowing it. Sending unit is different as is the location in the tank. Also the filler neck is different

·
Registered
249 Posts
They mite have changed it on the 03's.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I fill with a big nozzle but I have to hold it up the whole time and can't get it to engage the first notch.

A real pain but it does fill relatively fast.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Same here. It still fills alot faster than regular though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My 2004 LLY handles the big boy pumps just fine. It came right from the factory with the big filler neck. Put the pump on high, and the truck is filled up VERY fast. He he, to bad for you guys with older trucks
. Seems pretty dumb that they would even put a small filler opening on any diesel equiped vehicle.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
338_ said:
Seems pretty dumb that they would even put a small filler opening on any diesel equiped vehicle.

No kidding!!
I spent $130 for the TransferFlow and I am still not 100% happy with the fuel filling of my truck.

This I would think would be a NO BRAINER!!!!!!

OK I am done.....I'll step away from the 'soap box'.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
The slow fill is fine with me ... gives me time to check the diesel level in crankcase and clean the dirt out of the intake tube.

·
Registered
132 Posts
OOUUUUUUCCCCHHHHH tophog that hurts!----LOL---- Phil

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had the transfer flow on my 2001 and didn't bother getting it for the 2002. It put more diesel on the side of the truck then OEM did. I just have to fill slow when using the big rig pump.

Sure wish there was an option out there, or more options.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I remember a thread on this web site that lists GM part numbers from a larger truck that will work on a 2500HD that will give a bigger fill pipe that will work well.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Durabill said:
I remember a thread on this web site that lists GM part numbers from a larger truck that will work on a 2500HD that will give a bigger fill pipe that will work well.

It does not work, I tried it. Now I have $45 filler that can be used as a paper weight.

The filler(GMs fo the 4500s) is just like the Fords and TransferFlow, it uses a fill vent that is on the outside of the fill tube. Then is goes back into the tank for venting(fill). This gives you more area on the inside of the fill tube for FUEL. I want to check out the LLYs and see if it is the same set up.

The TransferFlow works better but it is not a true fix to the problem. I think the angle of the fill tube is to much. The pump will always click off until the handle is in the correct possition.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts