Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my LBZ Crew Cab 4x4. I need some help deciding how to upfit it, and I need to do it soon so I can sell the old truck, F-150 regular cab 2x4.

Let me first explain how I toted all my crap with the F-150 ... I have an extra wide crossover box. I would then slip ladders under the box and let them hang out over the tailgate. The tool box stays full, mainly little stuff and several drills. Whatever else needed to stay dry rode with me in boxes up in the front seat.

I found myself having to climb into the back of the truck all the time to reach stuff in the middle of the crossover box. I suspect this will only get worse now that I have a 4x4 that sits higher up. So I am looking for alternatives.

I don't want it to end up looking too much like a contractors truck, but I am afraid I may not be able to help it.

I am really interested in the Weatherguard Pack Rat bed drawer. The one I am looking at is 383 pounds empty. I have been unable to find any first hand user feedback..

For a ladder rack, I am considering one of the weekender removeable racks. I also like the look of the trac rak, while it is removable, I suspect I never will. If I go with this rack, I am afraid it will have contractor written all over it, but maybe not, it does look good. Any thoughts?

I also really like the retrax. I know I could not get the weekender ladder rack to work with retrax, but maybe the trac rak rails would overlap the retrax... If I can't haul ladders with a tonnuea, then the tonneau is out.

I have looked all over the web for neat bed stuff. There is a ton of stuff out there, but I can't decide..

Quick recap of my goal....

1. Easily accesible tool box storage

2. Haul ladders (usually 2, one 7 foot step and one 10 foot step)

3. Not to look too much like a contractor truck (No offense to all you contractors)

Any ideas :rolleyes: , thanks.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Get a nice enclosed trailer and put the name of your company on the side(advertising), use it asa write off, bolt a ladder rack to the top or get the weekender for the truck and leave the trailer at home when you don't need it. Has worked for me for years and leaves my truck empty for trips to supply house!

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Just got my LBZ Crew Cab 4x4. I need some help deciding how to upfit it, and I need to do it soon so I can sell the old truck, F-150 regular cab 2x4.

Let me first explain how I toted all my crap with the F-150 ... I have an extra wide crossover box. I would then slip ladders under the box and let them hang out over the tailgate. The tool box stays full, mainly little stuff and several drills. Whatever else needed to stay dry rode with me in boxes up in the front seat.

I found myself having to climb into the back of the truck all the time to reach stuff in the middle of the crossover box. I suspect this will only get worse now that I have a 4x4 that sits higher up. So I am looking for alternatives.

I don't want it to end up looking too much like a contractors truck, but I am afraid I may not be able to help it.

I am really interested in the Weatherguard Pack Rat bed drawer. The one I am looking at is 383 pounds empty. I have been unable to find any first hand user feedback..

For a ladder rack, I am considering one of the weekender removeable racks. I also like the look of the trac rak, while it is removable, I suspect I never will. If I go with this rack, I am afraid it will have contractor written all over it, but maybe not, it does look good. Any thoughts?

I also really like the retrax. I know I could not get the weekender ladder rack to work with retrax, but maybe the trac rak rails would overlap the retrax... If I can't haul ladders with a tonnuea, then the tonneau is out.

I have looked all over the web for neat bed stuff. There is a ton of stuff out there, but I can't decide..

Quick recap of my goal....

1. Easily accesible tool box storage

2. Haul ladders (usually 2, one 7 foot step and one 10 foot step)

3. Not to look too much like a contractor truck (No offense to all you contractors)

Any ideas :rolleyes: , thanks.
I love the trac rack system but it's beyond my budget right now. You can always remove the back and keep the front on there with a tool box.
Or you can go with the weekenders(since you only have two small step ladders) and go with a bed mount box and put a tonnou cover on it and when the weekenders are out, the tonnou is on the box is covered and no one will know you work with tools):h ):h ):h .
Just a thought. An idea I would go with if I did not have to carry bigger ladders all the time.:)

Mark

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get a nice enclosed trailer and put the name of your company on the side(advertising), use it asa write off, bolt a ladder rack to the top or get the weekender for the truck and leave the trailer at home when you don't need it. Has worked for me for years and leaves my truck empty for trips to supply house!

Actually, I do have an enclosed trailer already. Extra high so I can walk around in it, I love it. Maybe you are right, I just need to use it more often.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Actually, I do have an enclosed trailer already. Extra high so I can walk around in it, I love it. Maybe you are right, I just need to use it more often.
In due time I'll be getting one myself. They are great for storing things and great for leaving(locking) on a job site that is a week or longer. Beats having to bring it in and out of your truck every night.

Mark

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kimagine, I just looked at your garage to check out your ladder rack. That's one clean truck :bow: Too bad you gave away your secret....

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Kimagine, I just looked at your garage to check out your ladder rack. That's one clean truck :bow: Too bad you gave away your secret....
Thank you very much.. Wait until (hopefully) this year and I have her lifted and painted dark metallic purple with gold phantom flames:ro) .

Alot of work in progress and it drives my wife nuts, but yet she wants me to do more to it:eek: ....Go figure, and of not complain...:)

Mark

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
We have the Weatherguard Pac Rat in all 50 of our service trucks/vans (electrical company) and have been flawless in useage. In our trucks they do tend to be harder to open due to moisture but not unbearable. They all last the life of the truck; approx. 10 year or 250K miles.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
In time, I'll be adding a retrax to my truck, and modifying my trac rac to fit. Fit and finish of the trac rac is excellent, and it will hold way more weight than advertised. One of my business associates worked with the founder of Trac Rac, really cool background.

An enclosed trailer is in my future...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We have the Weatherguard Pac Rat in all 50 of our service trucks/vans (electrical company) and have been flawless in useage. In our trucks they do tend to be harder to open due to moisture but not unbearable. They all last the life of the truck; approx. 10 year or 250K miles.

50 Pac Rats, Holy crap batman. These things are expensive, so if you have one for every vehicle they must be worth it.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Rttoys or anyone

Could you get some pics of the Rat pack a truck and post them?

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Dozerboy, I'll try to take some pictures today.

Canyon, you have no idea how much much money we spend here on our trucks/vans,but that is what you have to do to play with the big dogs. We use all Weatherguard stuff, it is worth every penny; I've never had to replace a box or rack since I've been here and they take a serious beating.

We spend (parts only, I do the labor) $3300 on outfitting a truck; cross box, 2 side boxes, rat pac, ladder rack, cab protector, power inverter, trailer hitch/ball. About $2500 for vans. Our vehicles are loaded to the max and get worked hard everyday. I even weighed one of my 'worst cases', '02 C2500HD 9200gvw weighed in at (drum roll please) 9600#:eek: at times he even pulls a trailer. It's amazing we get over 200k on our trucks without any major repairs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:Insane: Well, it is a done deal. I am getting the rat pac put in Tuesday afternoon. I'll post pics.

I am holding off on the trac rak for now. The ladder I use the most is my 7 footer. While at the depot I noticed they were having a sale on 6 foot ladders, $29.95, I bought two. They fit in the short bed just fine and will work okay for just about anything I did with the 7 footer.

When I need the 10 footer I will take the trailer. Although, they do make one of those little giant ladders that extends to a 9.5 foot step, then collapses to fit in the short bed.

After I fill up the rat pac, If I still need a bit more room, I may put a crossover on it, or maybe a pair of the porkchop boxes.

Last chance to talk me out of it.... :Insane:

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
canyon,
:grd: :grd: :grd:

No more backing out. If you like it and it will work with you, just do it.
You'll be happy.:)

Mark

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
BTW, update your sig so we can see what you're working with. Makes it easier for the proper venue to aid you in your questions, mods or parts..
Mark

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sig on!

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Update your location as well, unless your hiding from a hitman or uncle sam then don't.
I have the pac rat and it is nice. I have the biggest one they make width and height and lenght and I can fit a lot of stuff in there. It's heavy and once loaded very heavy.
I think Weatherguard is the best option for truck boxes but I went with the Trac Rack because they are the best racks out there, unless your talking D cups. I have had over 1000lbs on mine and they don't bend or shake around loaded up.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Sig works now:) Enjoy the truck and enjoy the addiction):h ):h ):h

Mark

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
We do have a couple of project managers that only have a crossbox and a headache rack on there truck. Sometimes they will haul some materials to the jobsite. If they haul a larger ladder then they load it forward on the headache rack. As long as the hight isn't too tall it works fine, if to tall then they can strap it down from headache rack to top of the tailgate. Anything to avoid towing a trailer.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a track rac from my 02 in the shop. I love it because i can haul an entire enclosures parts on it excluding the roof. I have the long bed now and it has a dump insert in it so the rack is in storage. But it the best parttime rac I've had and it also has the 2' cantlever over the cab area. It was pricee in 02 but it looks cool and does the job. I also have a enclosed trailer as my moble work shop for long jobs. Go with the trac rac.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts