Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone has experienced the same issue but I tow a measly 5k-7k lb toyhauler. It doesnt seem to have the power it should going uphill. I have done the pcv reroute added lbz mouthpiece and intake,and 4 inch exhaust catback. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
using tow/haul mode? what grade of hill?

·
LLY Guy
11,952 Posts
Boost leak maybe?

·
LLY Guy
11,952 Posts
And how olds your fuel filter?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but, my truck acts the same way. If I'm towing for 7 hours it will run great for about 5 of them and then will start to lose power going up hill off and on for the last couple of hours. So I guess you're not the only one. If I come up with anything I'll post back. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Recently replaced cat. Made a world of difference in power. I believe all the soot was preventing air flow thru to the exhaust. Just my two.

·
LLY Guy
11,952 Posts
Check this first-
A)Change the fuel filter
B)Look for boost leaks. There are 4 boots under the hood that are known to crack/leak/blow off
C)Scan for codes
D)Run some fuel treatment. Dirty nozzles will cut down on power
E)If above check ok then rail pressure needs to be checked, commanded vs actual. Boost pressure needs to be checked as well. This might be as simple as a fuel line starting to collapse under heavy load, which starves the CP3 for fuel. Rail pressure logging will confirm this is or is not an issue. How heavy is the trailer your pulling. And how steep are the grades.

·
LLY Guy
11,952 Posts
Remember depending on trailer weight the trucks not gonna be a racecar up grades. A programmer will not "fix" this, in fact it can sometimes make things worse with tranny issues. And ask yourself how much your trailer weighs. If the answer starts with the words "I think" or "about", then its time to go to the scale and be sure how much is actually back there. Let us know what you find

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have heard of the fuel line flexing or collapsing while pulling a trailer,my buddy had a friends truck do it ,it tooks months to find it and they found it by accident, somewhere on the rubber line between the bed and cab.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I understand it is not going to race uphill but I've driven this same hill for 4 years now and I used to have a 2006 f-250 6.0l and it pulled alot smoother than what this truck is doing. My trailer is 5k empty and 7k loaded. there is somrthing noticeably wrong.

·
LLY Guy
11,952 Posts
Has it always ben this way or did this develope into an issue after you got the truck?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Is your engine fan coming on a lot? Clean out your radiator stack, oover time dirt can get in there and reduce its effectiveness. Running warm will definately effect your towing power as well as your transmission and its performance.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.