Do you recommend upgrading to L5P?

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

It’s been a while since I’ve been on here. I currently have a 2007 LBZ with 165000 on the clock. Most of my issues with the truck were the result of a defective factory paint job. This resulted in numerous trips to the body shop on my dime. Everything else was maintenance related work.

Now a few electrical gremlins are starting to show up. The mechanism that knows the drivers door is open is intermittent working, as are the interior dash lights. Not to mention a pesky EGR cooler code that just popped up again for the 3rd straight year, a month before my emissions inspection. I lucked out the last two years by clearing the code and it didn’t come back. Maybe my luck ran out. My research has led me to people complaining this code won’t go away ever after replacing the EGR cooler.

I don’t have the time or desire to be wrenching every weekend trying to fix small intermittent stuff on my daily driver. Upgrades or maintenance work, sure.

I’m wondering how everyone is TRULEY liking their brand new rigs?

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison, LT, Crew Cab, SRW, Std. Bed, Z71, 4WD,
2,071 Posts
First off, test drive one. It will feel like it's 5 feet longer, 2 feet wider, and 2 feet taller (it isn't, just feels that way). But it is heavier than my '07.5 2500 (by 800#!), and feels like it. The view over the hood takes getting used to; sight distance is about 20 feet. Mirrors seem to create a major blind spot. Other than that, my two main complaints are the thumping at idle, and the annoying turbo lag. I got over my initial revulsion at the front end styling, and now I'm good with it. They narrowed the inside of the bed, so I will have to modify my RDS 40-gallon tank to fit. Rear seat space on the CC has been greatly increased by enlarging the cab and there is even more space when the seat is folded up. If I can believe the DIC, fuel mileage around town is amazing, can't wait to tow with it, but adapting for the fifth wheel is going to be a chore, since GM deleted the pre-drilled holes on the frame with the threaded inserts that were on the 14-19 models. Got my B&W rail kit, so will install it when the smoke clears around here.

BTW: I did test drive a Ram 3500. Ram has a rougher ride, but no turbo lag.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
2 major frame and chassis updates since 2007.5
(2011 and 2020)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great feedback guys. Unfortunately, I was a little misled from a local GMC dealer's website. The filter options suck (no diesel), so I selected 6.6 CI engine. Jokes on me, the trucks I were looking at were all gassers and the Duramax is well above the 60k trucks listed. This pushes the 6.6 Duramax out of my price range, which was a major let down. I'm looking into the 1500 with 3.0 Duramax as it's an easier pill to swallow price wise. I'm weary of the 1st year 3.0...

·
Registered
2020 Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison, LT, Crew Cab, SRW, Std. Bed, Z71, 4WD,
2,071 Posts
I don't think you were the first person fooled by the 6.6 gasser/diesel confusion; I think it was by design. Mine was just a click over 60k, and it's pretty well equipped.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
146 Posts
I paid 47.5K for mine. 2020 CCLB 2500. Dont get all the fancy crap and save some money. Still has everything i need. Power windows, keyless entry, backup camera, cruise control. You can spend 30K on options that most people end up having issues with anyways.

·
Registered
236 Posts
2020 and a people are still complaining about dead pedal/turbo lag? You think Chevy would have did some thing to improve it by now...That was and still is a big complaint with my 2012...If I'm doing 25-30 MPH I have to factor in a 2 or 3 second delay anytime I want accelerate to pass or go around someone....

·
Administrator
16,738 Posts
2020 and a people are still complaining about dead pedal/turbo lag? You think Chevy would have did some thing to improve it by now...That was and still is a big complaint with my 2012...If I'm doing 25-30 MPH I have to factor in a 2 or 3 second delay anytime I want accelerate to pass or go around someone....
Gone are the days of just turning a wrench to solve the issue at the factory.
Now there is a bunch of political red tape to jump through and fixes take time

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I find that going WOT for passing maneuvers often/usually causes a delay til/while it downshifts.

Often/usually 1/2 - 3/4 throttle brings up the power without the downshift.

YMMV

EDIT: I guess I should have paid better attention to the (new?) forum section.
I don't have, and have never driven a 20+ HD with the 10 speed....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts