Diesel Place banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am still trying to figure out how I would know how close I am to needing to do a regen.
This is how mine is setup most of the time. Last 3 being dpf sl%(soot level) , dpf rg%(basically a clock until regen starts as once this hits 100 regen will start automatically, and regen status on/off.

So say your soot level is still low but your regen percentage is 80-90 and it just happens your going to be driving enough constantly at higher speed that could complete a regen. So at this time before you hopped on the interstate or back country road you could go ahead and initiate a regen and have it properly finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Regen can also start base on engine hours or fuel burned or miles.

I suspect that the dpf rgn% shows the % of which ever item is closest to causing a regen to start.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Regen trigger %, it's in the list near soot %. IIRC, it's the only other % option to monitor in the emissions category.

·
Premium Member
2019 Silverado HD 2500 LTZ ZR1 Metallic Black 6.6 Duramax
36 Posts
This is how mine is setup most of the time. Last 3 being dpf sl%(soot level) , dpf rg%(basically a clock until regen starts as once this hits 100 regen will start automatically, and regen status on/off.

So say your soot level is still low but your regen percentage is 80-90 and it just happens your going to be driving enough constantly at higher speed that could complete a regen. So at this time before you hopped on the interstate or back country road you could go ahead and initiate a regen and have it properly finish.
I see, I was thinking that I was missing something in my owner’s manual that addressed this and told me when the truck performed a regen.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You would like to think there would be, but no. It will tell you how many miles you have to get to a dealer before it starts knocking down your top speed because of too many uncompleted regens you didn't know were happening though, of course...

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
That would really make me angry after all that we pay for these trucks. That seems to be an oversight or a money making plan of GM’s

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
They gave been making trucks that 'regen' at least since 2007.
None have a light to indicate regen.
Definitely the intention is no regen indicator.

GM intends regen is intended to be a non-event for the vehicle operator.

My usage (many short trips per day) has meant that I've had 100's of interrupted regens without problem.
(as witnessed by the increase in idle speed, and temporary drop in fuel economy)

Imho, a monitor can be entertaining, but certainly isn't necessary.

Reactions: Mikes2019HDDuramax

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I just think that it would be helpful to know when the truck is needing to do a regen so that you could take it out on the road for a good 30 minutes to get a regen completed properly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's part that GM doesn't want you to worry about it, part that GM doesn't trust the public to do anything for themselves, and part that basically not notifying you until there is a problem drums up a lot of repair business.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
That plan will back fire on them for me, I bought the plus up factory warranty. It’s their problem for 8 years. Plus that I’m getting older and don’t enjoy wrenching on things as much as I used to.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I’m not sure to be honest. I signed many pieces of paper that day. I think that it will be worth it in the long run, especially since this is my first diesel.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
The warranty we bought was for 100000 or eight years. I will probably run out on the years before the mileage. I would have to dig out the paperwork to tell you how much it cost us.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I just think that it would be helpful to know when the truck is needing to do a regen so that you could take it out on the road for a good 30 minutes to get a regen completed properly.
If it doesn't finish before the trip ends it will resume the next trip.

Still gets completed 'properly'.

This issue has been debated many many times from the first LMM in 2007 til now.

Truck works for us, we don't work for it.
Since it resumes regen if it needs to I just let it do it's thing.

I refuse to change my driving habits and drive it extra time/distance just because it is in regen.
If that doesn't continue to work, I'll drive something else.

Fwiw, LML regened in about 30 minutes, but the L5P will do it in 20 (at least my '18 did) and the LM2 (3.0L) does a regen in 10 - 12 miles/minutes.

Reactions: Mikes2019HDDuramax

·
Registered
79 Posts
It must be nice living in your world.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
If it doesn't finish before the trip ends it will resume the next trip.

Still gets completed 'properly'.

This issue has been debated many many times from the first LMM in 2007 til now.

Truck works for us, we don't work for it.
Since it resumes regen if it needs to I just let it do it's thing.

I refuse to change my driving habits and drive it extra time/distance just because it is in regen.
If that doesn't continue to work, I'll drive something else.

Fwiw, LML regened in about 30 minutes, but the L5P will do it in 20 (at least my '18 did) and the LM2 (3.0L) does a regen in 10 - 12 miles/minutes.
I have decided not to worry about it. The truck will do it by itself and I drive it more than 30 miles at a time at least once a week. I really don’t see anything to worry about. It’s just a truck.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts