Diesel Place banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2007 C5500 4X4 that has a cracked crank shaft again. I’ve picked up a complete 2018 4X4. Motor, transmission, dash, electronic, exhaust, etc that I want to install in place of the LMM. Question I have is anyone attempted this yet or knowledge of what issues I might run into? I’ve installed two LMM’s in this truck done with this generation crank shaft. I’m new to this site and any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
That's impressive. I'm not mechanically inclined but I'm looking forward to seeing how this works out for you.

·
Bac To The Future
23,008 Posts
Two stock crankshafts? If so, it probably would've been less expensive to leave the LMM in there and just bought a Callies Durastar/Compstar crank for it instead. Im not sure the L5P will retrofit without extensive wiring issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes two factory motors. Journal #3 on both. I have another factory crank I could have put in one of these two motors but want to do something a bit more off the beaten path. The stock one truck was born with. I bought a used one from eBay that was said to be a 115k mile motor. I’m sure it was more and turned out to be out of a express van. So on the transplant for electrical I think I’m going to use dash, factory fuse box, and steering column that way have have all function displays. Going to pull apart the rear of the transmission Tuesday see how I can figure out the divorced T-case issue. I really want to run this 2018 transmission. Sure this will take a good month to figure it all out. I’m hoping someone will chime in on the electrical nightmare I’m about to get into.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Sounds like a fun and challenging project. Might give Russ a call at RPM Motorsports.

·
Registered
16,235 Posts
I think I would have went with what Tom mention or maybe see what Guy Tripp could offer. L5P motor has the CP4...Something that I will stay away from

·
Registered
36 Posts
the L5P may be more than a wiring nightmare. from what I understand the L5P engine/trans computer is dependent on body computer and other electronics on the truck to run.tuning is a bit pricey and not sure about a standalone ecm/tcm being availiable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will have to look into that part the electrical system before I get to far into this transplant. I do have a good truck recycle yard here that I can get them if needed. Or maybe put this up on the pallet racking till someone can get into the Ecu’s and write that stuff out. Really looking for someone that’s tried this sort of job and found a dead end or made it work.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Holly Chit!!:thumb::thumb:

I solute your out of the box thinking

:thumb::thumb:

I wish you luck.

I would start by calling around to some of the sites supporting vendors for some input

that would be my first move is to call a professional shop for some insight so you can make an informed decision.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the support and ideas. Got the motor to start this weekend on a home made stand alone frame. Motor sounded good transmission shifted and seems to work and reved up as it should. Couple weeks going to pull front clip of the truck and see if I can make this all work. Switching over and getting the 2018 dash in will be some work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh man I have the same issue
Got a l5p to install in my humvee did you have
Any luck getting it to run and did you used a stand alone harness?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Is there such a thing as a "standalone harness" for a L5P already?

My reading of what 390Searay wrote, is that he just made a stand for the engine, and that he's using the computer system/wiring harness from the '18, and put it all into the '07

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the support and ideas. Got the motor to start this weekend on a home made stand alone frame. Motor sounded good transmission shifted and seems to work and reved up as it should. Couple weeks going to pull front clip of the truck and see if I can make this all work. Switching over and getting the 2018 dash in will be some work.
Hi i need help, can you tell what the bare minimum is needed to make it run and drive in the way of electronics/modules? I have a 2018 l5p mw7 lift out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went a different direction way to complicated also couldn’t fit the air intake system under the outer dash.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts