Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to this site I hope i get this done in the proper manner.I have a 1998 G.M.C. K3500 with a 6.5T,F series.I was one of the unlucky ones that ended up with the block full of cracks.I knew something was wrong with the picture when the water level was dropping and the oil was rising.First of all,it was just out of the 5 year warrenty and didn't have but 86,000 miles on it.I tried in every way I could think of to get help from General Motors.That just couldn't be worked out.If anyone knows of a route I could take on this matter please let me know.My next area of concern is that I found a (hope to be) good used motor.My problem is that I haven't figured out what series the used motor is.I know i have a f series that went bad but i can;t find L65 on it anywhere.Different groups of numbers and letters but not the one I thought it should be. If someone could tell me where the group is for the series and the year then maybe i wouldn't be so confused.I only have the eight digit number on top next to the distributer for the used motor as I haven't went and picked it up yet.It is10149599.Someone please help .............Thanks

·
Registered
889 Posts
Sorry I can't help you on block numbers. I would guess that is a 599 block. I think L56 or L65 are RPO build codes ie wether or not it has egr or not (S or F in vin). Also the programing is slightly different. It does not indicate what casting the block is.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The last three numbers in the same group casted on the bad block are 506.what all does one differ from the other and can they both be used as a F series.I would also like to know what the rest of the same group of numbers identifiy.I have been told that my truck being a 1998,had to have a 1997 or newer.Is this also true?....Thanks for all the help anyone is able to give.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
S\L56 is EGR

F\L65 is not

Block casting numbers do not reflect emissions status, only chronology

1 - 4 of 4 Posts